Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2004/08/18 15:45:52 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10680 - trunk

nori(a)tigris.org wrote:
> Author: nori
> Date: Wed Aug 18 07:46:44 2004
> New Revision: 10680
>
> Modified:
>   trunk/COMMITTERS
> Log:
> * COMMITTERS: Correct an entry for me ('nori'); change e-mail address to
>    my stable one and mark my family name with capital letters.
> -          nori   Kobayashi Noritada <nori1(a)u-tokyo.ac.jp ?>  (.po
> files)
> +          nori   KOBAYASHI Noritada <nori1(a)dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
> (.po

Are the capital letters a Japanese convention?

To an uninformed English person such as myself, they look like a mistake in
the formatting of the file.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r10680 - trunk

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:

> To an uninformed English person such as myself, they look like a
> mistake in the formatting of the file.

Rather like YELLING.  :-)

Re: svn commit: r10680 - trunk

Posted by "Eric S. Raymond" <es...@thyrsus.com>.
Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>:
> >-          nori   Kobayashi Noritada <nori1(a)u-tokyo.ac.jp ?>  (.po
> >files)
> >+          nori   KOBAYASHI Noritada <nori1(a)dolphin.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
> >(.po
>
> Are the capital letters a Japanese convention?
>
> To an uninformed English person such as myself, they look like a mistake in
> the formatting of the file.

No.  It's a convention often used by Japanese when writing in English.

In Japanese written romaji (with "Roman characters") the name would be
"Kobayashi Noritada" (family name first, personal name second).  In
English we write names the other way around.  This leads to an
ambiguity: when we see "Kobayashi Noritada", which is the personal
name?

So Japanese writing in English have evolved the practice of uppercasing
the family name to mark it.