Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/04/21 01:22:47 UTC

[action2] Towards our first release

At JavaOne, Patrick, Jason, and I will be presenting a session about Struts Action 2 (deceptively titled, "What's Up
with Struts Ti?")  We definitely want to have something more concrete to talk about like at least an unstable release of
Struts Action 2.  JavaOne runs May 16-19 and our session is on May 17 at 2:45 PM.

With this goal in mind, I want to start pushing towards a release, even if it is an unstable, beta release.  There is a
chance we won't be able to get out of the Incubator until then, so the release might even have to be an "unofficial"
incubator release, but at least we'd have something.

I recommend everyone, particularly the new committers, to read the Struts release process[1], which we will follow for
this release if we get out of the incubator in time.

Whether we get out of the Incubator in time or not, the following needs to be accomplished off the top of my head:

  1. The tickets gone through, keeping only essential tickets against this next release (2.0.0)
  2. Ensuring the project renaming is complete in a files, including source code comments
  3. Renaming WW instances on the wiki docs (once we get something stood up)
  4. Testing some of the new changes like the date picker, rich text editor, and tooltips

Here is a quick way to get started if you are running Java 5:

  1. svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/webwork2
  2. ant compile
  3. ant compile-optional
  4. ant jar
  5. java -jar build/struts-action-2.0-dev.jar quickstart:showcase

Then just browse to http://localhost:8080/showcase and see what Struts Action 2 has to offer.  You can modify the app at
webapps/showcase/src/main live, because all changes, including that of Java code, is automatically reloaded.  More
information of how QuickStart works can be found at: http://wiki.opensymphony.com/display/WW/QuickStart

So please, get involved and help us get our first release out the door!

Don

[1] http://struts.apache.org/releases.html