Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Nathan Kurz <na...@tripod.com> on 1997/07/09 00:40:02 UTC

general/843: StartServers directive works but children immediately die

>Number:         843
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       StartServers directive works but children immediately die
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I'm having problems getting StartServers to start any large number (> 100)
of children.  standalone_main() seems to start the correct number of
children, but they immediately die off before they get out of
SERVER_STARTING.

It's possible that this isn't really a bug, but since the children are
started after this one at a time (and once per second) it can several
minutes until the machine levels off again.
>How-To-Repeat:
Kill and restart httpd on a heavily trafficked machine, and observe the
number of processes running.
>Fix:
Perhaps change child_main so that the child does not exit until it has
served at least one request?

Or change the make_child check in standalone_main into a while loop?
If you are running short of servers you probably want to get back to the
correct number faster than it is currently done.
%0