Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Warne <mi...@pihana.com> on 2002/09/13 01:50:40 UTC

Cant get 4.1.10 to run on Win2K

Hi I have tried unsuccessfully to get Tomcat to run under win2K

1st try was using j2re1.4 and installing the LE .exe.

The install program pauses at the point where it says copying to: tomcat4.1/common/lib and then says:  copy failed.

However the install then completes.  When I open the browser to localhost:8080  I get a org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP
An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Same goes for any of the WAR examples etc.

2nd then tried the FULL edition (not the LE) -- same problem. :(

3rd I tried installing the full edition again using JDK1.3.  This time the copy does not fail.  But now I have this error:

An error occurred at line: -1 in the jsp file: null

Generated servlet error:
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file
C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\work\Standalone\localhost\_\index_jsp.java:266: handlePageException(java.lang.Exception) in javax.servlet.jsp.PageContext cannot be applied to (java.lang.Throwable)
      if (pageContext != null) pageContext.handlePageException(t);
                                          ^
1 error

	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.DefaultErrorHandler.javacError(DefaultErrorHandler.java:120)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.ErrorDispatcher.javacError(ErrorDispatcher.java:293)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.generateClass(Compiler.java:315)
	at org.apache.jasper.compiler.Compiler.compile(Compiler.java:326)
	at org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.compile(JspCompilationContext.java:474)

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Mike.

RE: Cant get 4.1.10 to run on Win2K

Posted by Miguel Angel Mulero Martinez <mi...@mad.tecsidel.es>.
I have put some similar messages. Are you trying to execute Tomcat as a
Service? This problem only happens to me when I start it like a service. Try
to start it from the console with "catalina start" and tell to us.