Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> on 2011/07/19 07:37:36 UTC

OOo Trademark

Hi,

I'm still getting requests now and again from persons who want to use
the trademark OpenOffice.org for various reasons. In former times I have
been pointing them to a web form that Oracle was providing. So, my
questions are:
- Is the OOo trademark already with Apache?
- If yes, I recall I have to forward them to trademarks@apache.org, right?
- If not, is Oracle still taking on such requests?
   + Do requesters still have to use the web form?
Or, is there any interims process?

Best regards,
Peter

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 19 July 2011 06:37, Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm still getting requests now and again from persons who want to use the
>> trademark OpenOffice.org for various reasons. In former times I have been
>> pointing them to a web form that Oracle was providing. So, my questions are:
>> - Is the OOo trademark already with Apache?
>
> I'm not sure if it has finally transferred I know the paperwork has
> been flying around. Shane/Sam are either of you able to give an
> update?
>
>> - If yes, I recall I have to forward them to trademarks@apache.org, right?
>
> It's the job of the (P)PMC to manage the trademark policy (see
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/)
>
> What this means is that the request should come to ooo-dev first. If
> it is clearly within the policy then the (P)PMC can give permission.
> If there is any doubt then it should be referred to trademarks@a.o
>
> Note trademarks@a.o will enforce the policy if there is a case of
> misuse, so it is important that the (P)PMC is fully aware of the
> policy when giving permission.
>
>>  + Do requesters still have to use the web form?
>
> Requests should come here (or ooo-private if the company has need for
> the request to be private). If you have a webform that has been used
> in the past it would make sense to continue to use it, but the
> requests need to be brought to the project community.

Good information.  I've added an item to the "Help Wanted" wiki page
[1] to turn this into a defined PPMC process that we can describe on
the website's Community FAQ's.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Help+Wanted

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
Am 19.07.2011 16:38, schrieb Ross Gardler:
> On 19 July 2011 06:37, Peter Junge<pe...@gmx.org>  wrote:

[...]

>> - If yes, I recall I have to forward them to trademarks@apache.org, right?
>
> It's the job of the (P)PMC to manage the trademark policy (see
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/)
>
> What this means is that the request should come to ooo-dev first. If
> it is clearly within the policy then the (P)PMC can give permission.
> If there is any doubt then it should be referred to trademarks@a.o
>
> Note trademarks@a.o will enforce the policy if there is a case of
> misuse, so it is important that the (P)PMC is fully aware of the
> policy when giving permission.

Thanks for the pointer.

>>   + Do requesters still have to use the web form?
>
> Requests should come here (or ooo-private if the company has need for
> the request to be private). If you have a webform that has been used
> in the past it would make sense to continue to use it, but the
> requests need to be brought to the project community.

The web form was used by Oracle. I think we won't need it anymore, but
the process --as described above-- should work well. If the OOo
trademark is still with Oracle, it would like to ask (added Andrew on
CC) to delegate all related issues to the AOOo (P)PMC ASAP in order to
ensure legal certainty for future requesters.

Peter

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
Am 20.07.2011 00:51, schrieb Andrew Rist:

>> I'm still getting requests now and again from persons who want to use
>> the trademark OpenOffice.org for various reasons. In former times I
>> have been pointing them to a web form that Oracle was providing. So,
>> my questions are:
>> - Is the OOo trademark already with Apache?
> Oracle legal is currently working with ASF on the transfer.

OK.

>> - If yes, I recall I have to forward them to trademarks@apache.org,
>> right?
>> - If not, is Oracle still taking on such requests?
> All of these types of requests are on hold at Oracle. The process should
> be moved over to Apache.

Good idea.

>> + Do requesters still have to use the web form?
>> Or, is there any interims process?
> Not at this time - and - this should make it over to the Apache side of
> things in reasonably short order.

OK, does anyone have objections if I'm starting to forward TM requests
to this list?

Peter

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Danese Cooper wrote:
> Well, after a policy is decided on, I'd suggest we publish it along with a
> "request for permission" link that goes to a special list in this PPMC of
> people willing to moderate the OOo trademark policy.  That's how OSI,
> Mozilla, Wikimedia and a few other projects I can think about do it.  One
> "nice to have" is pre-canned logo usage for the most common and simplest
> cases (like..."I want to print a tee-shirt for my conference", or "I want to
> reference your project in my story (from journalists)")
>
> I would be willing to serve on that list.

As will I.

Andy

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 07/22/2011 12:57 AM, schrieb Shane Curcuru:
> Note that Tightrope has abandoned their US trademark application for
> OPENOFFICE. Yay!
>
> http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85298190

Great to know, thanks for the link. :-)

Marcus

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

On 7/21/2011 11:14 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:
> On 21 Jul 2011, at 06:31, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
>
>> Am 07/21/2011 01:11 PM, schrieb Eike Rathke:
>>> Hi Peter,

>>> About 2000 reported cases as of June 2010, see
>>> http://de.openoffice.org/abgezockt/ (all in German)
>> Wow, what a frigthening number of cases. :-O
> And there are many more in other countries. Defending the OpenOffice.org trademark just against this nasty abuse is a full-time project. I would be be happy to participate in it once Apache has standing.
>
> Also, Shane&  Andrew, do you know whether Oracle has objected to the trademark application by Tightrope Interactive that was reported in The Register[1]?  It would be very sad to see that one fall through the cracks during the hand-over.
Oracle has been dealing with the Tightrope issue.
A.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Eike Rathke <oo...@erack.de>.
Hi Peter,

On Thursday, 2011-07-21 09:21:45 +0800, Peter Junge wrote:

> >Once this is cooked, I'm eager for us to pick up the threads on trademark
> >enforcement against "subscription fraud" abusers of the trademarks.
>
> This is indeed a big and painful issue that should somehow be
> tackled. I think the I remember the former lead of the German OOo
> Marketing Project had collected several hundreds of cases of
> subscription fraud with OOo.

About 2000 reported cases as of June 2010, see
http://de.openoffice.org/abgezockt/ (all in German)

  Eike

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Thanks for starting some detailed conversation.  A couple of meta notes:

- My objective is to minimize the number of special cases we have in our
policies.  Unless there are really fundamental differences, I expect
that the ASF-wide policy [1] will cover all projects.  Note: I plan on
continuing to update it, especially the FAQ page, to cover exactly these
kinds of "this specific kind of use is OK" cases.

- We should carefully consider which parts of the potential process
would happen in public vs. private.

If we end up with an Apache OOo "Contact us here to request special
permission", I think that should be done publicly, with a note to
requester that the request will be public.

However trademark enforcement - i.e. us contacting third parties who may
be improperly using our marks, or third parties reporting improper uses
of our marks - is normally done privately, at least for the first
contact to a third party.  This is because we've found that many cases
are simple misunderstandings or mistakes, and they are often quickly
cleaned up once we make a polite request.

- We do not currently have a template "here's permission" email or
document, that's a longer term process we should work with the ASF Legal
Affairs Committee at legal-discuss@ to create.

- Shane

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Shane Curcuru wrote:
> Thanks for the info.  Note that it would be helpful if people interested
> in working with trademarks read the Apache policies, as well as our
> growing list of FAQs:
>
>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/
>   http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/
>
> Part of my strategy is to attempt to cover as many of the basic kinds of
> uses with generic documentation, and to try to limit the number of
> explicit agreements or specific grants that we give to third parties.
>
> I.e. if we can clearly state in a policy that using our marks in manner
> X is generally permissible, without having to fillin a webform or email
> for written permission, it makes our life much, much simpler.  There are
> plenty of uses of trademarks that don't require any permissions and are
> not infringing - otherwise, how could I order a Coke (or a Pepsi) to drink?
>
> For things like journalists writing an article about Apache products, or
> individuals with personal blogs who just want to link to the download
> page for a product - I'd like to be able to point to a policy or FAQ
> that notes if they do it appropriately, no explicit permission is required.
>
> Obviously with the userbase and reach of OpenOffice.org, we need to
> consider how to manage the kinds of requests and the load of requests
> going forward, now that we're becoming Apache OpenOffice.
>
> - Shane

When I first got started with the Distribution project at OOo this is
the way it worked.  It was only a few months ago that Oracle changed the
policy.  I would prefer the above as well.

Andy

Re: OOo Trademark

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 21 July 2011 10:33, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 07/21/2011 03:16 AM, schrieb Shane Curcuru:
>
>  Thanks for the info. Note that it would be helpful if people interested
>> in working with trademarks read the Apache policies, as well as our
>> growing list of FAQs:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/**foundation/marks/<http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/>
>> http://www.apache.org/**foundation/marks/faq/<http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/faq/>
>>
>> Part of my strategy is to attempt to cover as many of the basic kinds of
>> uses with generic documentation, and to try to limit the number of
>> explicit agreements or specific grants that we give to third parties.
>>
>> I.e. if we can clearly state in a policy that using our marks in manner
>> X is generally permissible, without having to fillin a webform or email
>> for written permission, it makes our life much, much simpler. There are
>> plenty of uses of trademarks that don't require any permissions and are
>> not infringing - otherwise, how could I order a Coke (or a Pepsi) to
>> drink?
>>
>> For things like journalists writing an article about Apache products, or
>> individuals with personal blogs who just want to link to the download
>> page for a product - I'd like to be able to point to a policy or FAQ
>> that notes if they do it appropriately, no explicit permission is
>> required.
>>
>> Obviously with the userbase and reach of OpenOffice.org, we need to
>> consider how to manage the kinds of requests and the load of requests
>> going forward, now that we're becoming Apache OpenOffice.
>>

> Is there already a list that names simple requests that doesn't need a
> permission? We could create a new webpage on the Wiki or homepage as "I want
> to use your trademark. What to do?" section.

I have made a request that I think is fairly well-known. It is to use the
OpenOffice.org name and logo on user certificates and in the handbook. I
will have a draft of the handbook finished in the next couple of days if
anyone wants to look at it. It will get published with an ISBN on Lulu.com
and translated to Spanish. CC ASA 3.0 license.

It might be that I use Apache OpenOffice instead of OpenOffice.org and
include the Apache Logo. Part of the idea is to raise awareness of FOSS
projects and communities so there is a marketing dimension to this that
should be beneficial to everyone.

Just raising this again here for maximum transparency!
--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.