Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2014/03/04 19:05:10 UTC

Re: [Input request] Rethinking Plugin docs

Michael - any input here on merging doc -> README.md?, or if we do this how
translations should go?

e.g. README.md, doc/fr/README.md

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
I'm more supportive of Michal's thoughts, although I understand the
practicality of Andrew's approach.

Ideal world:

  - plugins.cordova.io renders all markdown files in docs/**/*.md
  - plugins.cordova.io allows switching the language (globally across the
site, like any normal website)

Algorithm for default npm page:

  1. If exists docs/index.md
  2. If exists docs/en/index.md
  3. If exists README.md

README.md vs index.md

  - README.md (or just README) is a top-level file for projects
  - Our documentation is a mark-up language that's render to HTML files
  - Our documentation should use the naming pattern of HTML files NOT
project distribution files
  - README.md should not appear in our docs directory

Reality

  - Anis will know best, but this approach might not be do-able in the
short-term.
    - Ideally, our next doc generator could be pluggable into
plugins.cordova.io to do the heavy lifting
    - The multiple pages could be displayed as separate HTML pages or
simply the GitHub gist-style for multiple files.
  - A short-term solution may be:
    1. If only one markdown file exists in docs/**/*.md, then render it as
the npm page
    2. If multiple markdown files exist in docs/**/*.md, then render a
table of contents as the npm page (from all the files)

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
on plugman publish:

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.