Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Adarsh Sharma <ad...@orkash.com> on 2010/10/29 08:17:01 UTC

Granting Access

Hi all,
As all of us know that Hadoop considers the user who starts the hadoop
cluster as  superuser.
It provides all access to HDFS to that user.

But know I want to know that how we can R/W access to new user for e.g
Tom to access HDFS.
Is there any command or we can write code for it. I read the tutorial
but not able to succed .

Thanks  in Advance

Re: Granting Access

Posted by Adarsh Sharma <ad...@orkash.com>.
Pavan wrote:
> IMHO, there is no straight forward way of doing this in Hadoop except that
> you need to install Hadoop components such as MapReduce and HDFS as
> different users . This is an ongoing development priority.
> The available access related configuration options (before Kerberos V5) are
> :
>
>    - dfs.permissions = true|false
>    - dfs.web.ugi = webuser,webgroup
>    - dfs.permissions.supergroup = supergroup
>    - dfs.upgrade.permission = 777
>    - dfs.umask = 022
>
> However, with Kerberos V5 availability there seems to be some hope wrt user
> authentication. In this model, HDFS uses the same permissions model as
> before but a user can no longer trivially impersonate other users and there
> is provisioning for ACLs to specify who can do what wrt jobs, tasks
> (authorization).
>
> Perhaps, you can try Yahoo's distribution or Cloudera's CDH3b3 to evaluate
> current status on this.
>
> ~
> Pavan
>

> On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Adarsh Sharma <ad...@orkash.com>wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>> As all of us know that Hadoop considers the user who starts the hadoop
>> cluster as  superuser.
>> It provides all access to HDFS to that user.
>>
>> But know I want to know that how we can R/W access to new user for e.g  Tom
>> to access HDFS.
>> Is there any command or we can write code for it. I read the tutorial but
>> not able to succed .
>>
>> Thanks  in Advance

I resolved the problem.
Thanks you all !

Re: Granting Access

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
There's also a config dfs.supergroup - users in the supergroup act as
superusers with regard to HDFS permissoins.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Granting Access

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.

Re: Granting Access

Posted by Pavan <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: Granting Access

Posted by Pavan <ya...@gmail.com>.

Re: Granting Access

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.
On Oct 28, 2010, at 11:17 PM, Adarsh Sharma wrote:

> Hi all,
> As all of us know that Hadoop considers the user who starts the hadoop cluster as  superuser.
> It provides all access to HDFS to that user.
>
> But know I want to know that how we can R/W access to new user for e.g  Tom to access HDFS.
> Is there any command or we canwrite code for it. I read the tutorial but not able to succed .
>
> Thanks  in Advance

	Just like you would any other file system.  Create a directory that Tom has write access to.