Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> on 2007/05/07 07:56:43 UTC

James Ubuntu packages

Hi Guys,

I wonder if it whould be helpfull to provide some James Ubuntu
packages.. I could put my Hands on if there is any need ;-)

bye
Norman

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 5/7/07, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin schrieb:
> > On 5/7/07, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> I will try to contact some debian developers when I have some time
> >> aviable ..
> >
> > i always found debian a complete PITA java-wise but feel free to give
> > it a go
> >
> > <rant>
> > debian have tried very, very hard to put as many obstacles in the way
> > of running open source java application on linux as they can. in the
> > time that it's taken sun to open source java, they haven't even been
> > able to agree a *policy* on java. basically, if it's not FSF then
> > debian aren't interested.
> > </rant>
> >
> > - robert
>
> I know..

things seem to have changed round since i last dropped in (which was a
few years ago). it's just the documentation that hasn't been updated.
bumped into thom in the ubuntu chat room and he thinks that there
really shouldn't be too many problems provided. most of the apache
stuff in java is now in main, rather than contrib.

the first step needs to be getting james running on harmony. this
means downloading harmony and seeing if the last james release builds
and the unit tests run out of the box. if not, then we need to hop
onto the lists and ask people to fix the issues.

> But if thats the way to get it accepted in Ubuntu later we
> should  try it

definitely: we need to work with downstreams

anyway, if debian is now less difficult license-wise for java then it
was, it would be good to be packaged with debian

- robert

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin schrieb:
> On 5/7/07, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I will try to contact some debian developers when I have some time
>> aviable ..
>
> i always found debian a complete PITA java-wise but feel free to give
> it a go
>
> <rant>
> debian have tried very, very hard to put as many obstacles in the way
> of running open source java application on linux as they can. in the
> time that it's taken sun to open source java, they haven't even been
> able to agree a *policy* on java. basically, if it's not FSF then
> debian aren't interested.
> </rant>
>
> - robert

I know.. But if thats the way to get it accepted in Ubuntu later we
should  try it

bye
Norman

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin schrieb:
> On 5/7/07, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin schrieb:

>> better for

>> > not sure i grok that
>> >
>> > most downstream guys are cool and very pleased when an upstream shows
>> > up to volunteer to put together and maintain a build for them. (the
>> > exception is debian since they have philosophical issues with java.)
>> >
>> > - robert
>>
>> Whats grok? I can't find a german word for it :-(
>
> it's net slang meaning completely understand
>
> - robert

Ah ok... In the meantime i talked to some guys in #ubuntu-devel. Here is
the log:

[08:51] <norman> Hi all
[08:52] <norman> I'm one of the PMC's of james mailserver
(james.apache.org). We want to ask about include james in ubuntu. Where
I should start to ask about it ?
[08:52] <Treenaks> norman: is it in Debian?
[08:52] <norman> If there whould be any intressed I whould start to
prepare the packaging
[08:53] <Treenaks> norman: if possible, we prefer to take the Debian
package, instead of our 'special' own package
[08:53] <norman> Treenaks: No.. It isn't included in any OS yet... We
just thought about to build debs now
[08:54] <Treenaks> norman: You really should ask Debian then -- to avoid
conflicts when Debian adds it themselves and we sync it in
[08:55] <norman> Treenaks, ok so you think debian is the best place to
start. I just ask because its a "java" app and debian not include the
java bins.. Just java-comon
[08:55] <Treenaks> norman: they do have java, maybe not _sun_ java..
[08:55] <Treenaks> but they do have java
[08:55] <norman> Treenaks, Well we need sun java.. Thats the point
[08:56] <norman> At least im not 100 % sure it will work quite well with
other java
[08:56] <Treenaks> norman: they'll help you debug it, probably
[08:56] <Seveas> Treenaks, they have sun-java as well, in non-fre
[08:56] <Treenaks> Seveas: sure, but 'non-free is not part of Debian',
so it's not "in debian"
[08:56] <Seveas> so 'james' should go in contrib
[08:57] <Seveas> nitpicking
[08:57] <Mithrandir> Treenaks: we can sync out of contrib, though
[08:57] <norman> Ok i will ask on debian . Thx for all your help
[08:57] <Treenaks> Mithrandir: sure
[08:57] <Mithrandir> norman: if you can't find anybody there who wants
to package it, please do get in touch and we'll get it in directly in
ubuntu
[08:58] <Seveas> Mithrandir, not from non-free to multiverse?
[08:58] <Mithrandir> the reason we ask you to try Debian is just to
avoid double work if there's interest for it in Debian
[08:58] <Mithrandir> Seveas: sure, from non-free too
[08:58] <norman> Mithrandir, thx .. Btw, I did debian packaging ( own
builds) in the past, so i think we whould be able to maintain it by our
own. Whould this be a problem ?
[09:00] <Mithrandir> norman: you would then either become a Debian or
Ubuntu developer which is a process to go through; I would not recommend
it unless you want to maintain more software for the distros; it takes
some effort to keep up with policies and such.
[09:01] <norman> Mithrandir, well I think my aviable time is not enough
to mantain more then a few packages. So this will be very unlikly :-/
[09:02] <Mithrandir> norman: then I would rather recommend you work with
a maintainer who is already a DD or UD.
[09:03] <norman> Mithrandir, thx for all your help.. I will try to start
with debian. If there is no intressed i will come back
[09:04] <Mithrandir> great.

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

RE: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Whats grok? I can't find a german word for it :-(

It is a made up word from a book by Robert Heinlein that ended up in the
English language (q.v. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok)

	--- Noel

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: James Ubuntu packages

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
robert burrell donkin schrieb:
> On 5/7/07, Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> robert burrell donkin schrieb:

>> > have you talked to the team downstream?
>> >
>> > - robert
>> >

>> Which team ?
>>  If you talk about the ubuntu guys then i didn't . But I think we could
>> put the "unofficial" deb packages on the page, even if they not want to
>> include it to the dist.
>
> ubuntu may well be interested in the packages and it's much better for
> everyone if we talk to them first
>
> - robert

Hi Robert,

I will take care ;-)