Posted to users@maven.apache.org by tc78 <to...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/04 16:09:32 UTC

Maven versioning

I am currently working with a group that is migrating a group of applications
and libraries to Maven.  I can’t seem to find the best way to handle the POM
versioning so I thought I would bounce that off those of you with more
experience.  There are roughly 20 web apps and 10 libraries.  What I am
wondering is if I have a new version of a web app coming out, is it best to
bump up the version on the app’s pom.xml as well as the dependency poms’
versions or is it standard for each library to increment on its own.  Say
for instance I implement someApp 1.1 and I now need to have a bug fix for
someDependency.  Does that make the next deployed version of someApp 1.1.1
or does that just bump up the version of someDependency?

Most of the work I did previously with Maven was working with SNAPSHOTs so
after I am trying to wrap my head around the versioning management portion
of it.

Thanks!

Re: Maven versioning

Posted by tc78 <to...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Ron.  That makes more sense to not bump the versions in the event the
libraries do not change.  For some reason a lot of the examples out there
show the dependency versions to be ${project.version}, which would save a
person from updating the poms but would cause me to unnecessarilly have to
bump versions.

Re: Maven versioning

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
We started by bumping all the versions but there is really no point and
we stopped when our module count reached yours.

Maven documents the versions of the dependencies in the pom so you
really don't need to make everything match.

We had a simple control sheet where we documented what each version of
out app used for each module.

Once you get into production and are issuing releases where only a few
modules are changing on each release, the amount of time spent updating
and testing new releases of modules that did not change and only
required a pom update and a rebuild, was just not worth it.

We figured that if we could build with the same version of an Apache
module, we could build with the same version of one of our libraries if
it did not change.

Ron

On 04/01/2013 10:09 AM, tc78 wrote:
> I am currently working with a group that is migrating a group of applications
> and libraries to Maven.  I can’t seem to find the best way to handle the POM
> versioning so I thought I would bounce that off those of you with more
> experience.  There are roughly 20 web apps and 10 libraries.  What I am
> wondering is if I have a new version of a web app coming out, is it best to
> bump up the version on the app’s pom.xml as well as the dependency poms’
> versions or is it standard for each library to increment on its own.  Say
> for instance I implement someApp 1.1 and I now need to have a bug fix for
> someDependency.  Does that make the next deployed version of someApp 1.1.1
> or does that just bump up the version of someDependency?
>
> Most of the work I did previously with Maven was working with SNAPSHOTs so
> after I am trying to wrap my head around the versioning management portion
> of it.
>

> Thanks!

Ron Wheeler
President