Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/12/06 16:17:03 UTC

Re: Next release planning

On 27 Nov 2013, at 09:37 , Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:

> On 26 November 2013 17:10, Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
>
>> This is a nit...maybe...but can we be sure that `_utils/fauxton` and
>> `_utils/fauxton/` both work? :)
>>
>> Would prevent "rock in shoe" sort of frustrations. :)
>>

> true :) but that would mean you are not allowed to create a database named
> fauxton which would be requested via _utils/fauxton/
>
> This has already been discussed on IRC and the "solution" was imo more or
> less to wait till fauxton will replace futon. Then you will call it via
> well known _utils/.

There are no discussions on IRC that are binding. If any of this happens,
please make sure that dev@ is informed. This is important to ensure
transparency of the development process/

I don’t see why `/_utils/fauxton/` would collide with a database called
`fauxton` as that would live at `/_fauxton`, but I might be missing something
subtle.

Best
Jan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
On 12/12/13, 11:52 AM, Alexander Shorin wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM, Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> wrote:

>>> There are no discussions on IRC that are binding. If any of this happens,
>>> please make sure that dev@ is informed. This is important to ensure
>>> transparency of the development process/
>>>
>>> I don’t see why `/_utils/fauxton/` would collide with a database called
>>> `fauxton` as that would live at `/_fauxton`, but I might be missing
>>> something
>>> subtle.
>>
>> First, thanks for taking the rock out of the shoe, Jan. :D
>>
>> Second, why was /_utils/fauxton(/) chosen over /_fauxton?
>>
>> Was there a mailing list conversation about it?
>>
>> Seems adding that to a config (even now) would have been simpler than all
>> the custom handling.
> IIRC the motivation was to not create too much _magic resources, to
> not confuse people even if Fauxton ships on right of experimental
> feature.

Makes sense. :) thanks.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
On 12/6/13, 10:17 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2013, at 09:37 , Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
>
>> On 26 November 2013 17:10, Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a nit...maybe...but can we be sure that `_utils/fauxton` and
>>> `_utils/fauxton/` both work? :)
>>>
>>> Would prevent "rock in shoe" sort of frustrations. :)
>>>
>> true :) but that would mean you are not allowed to create a database named
>> fauxton which would be requested via _utils/fauxton/
>>
>> This has already been discussed on IRC and the "solution" was imo more or
>> less to wait till fauxton will replace futon. Then you will call it via
>> well known _utils/.
> There are no discussions on IRC that are binding. If any of this happens,
> please make sure that dev@ is informed. This is important to ensure
> transparency of the development process/
>
> I don’t see why `/_utils/fauxton/` would collide with a database called
> `fauxton` as that would live at `/_fauxton`, but I might be missing something
> subtle.

First, thanks for taking the rock out of the shoe, Jan. :D

Second, why was /_utils/fauxton(/) chosen over /_fauxton?

Was there a mailing list conversation about it?

Seems adding that to a config (even now) would have been simpler than
all the custom handling.

Just wondering.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 10 December 2013 13:56, Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10 December 2013 at 2:55:22 PM, Alexander Shorin (kxepal@gmail.com)
> wrote:

> >> It is indeed
> >>

> > Unfortunately I was not able to find the conversation we had. But I do
> > remember that there has been the question, why we cannot have both URL's
> > access Fauxton:
> >
> > /_utils/fauxton
> > /_utils/fauxton/
> >
> > And I do remember, that there has been the info, that we can only use
> the
> > second version - what is indeed annoying. If there are no problems with
> > both (what I assume is what you are both saying), then we should create
> > Jira ticket and fix it. Or we wait till fauxton will become /_utils/ :)
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see that CouchDB handles both /_utils
> and /_utils/ only because of special case in http handler:
>
> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/src/couchdb/couch_httpd_misc_handlers.erl#L66
>
> While this issue isn't annoying, I think the better fix is to get
> ready Fauxton and replace Futon with it instead of having yet another
> redirect case in handler's code (:
> I agree.

+1 :)

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2013, at 17:31 , Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see that CouchDB handles both /_utils
>>> and /_utils/ only because of special case in http handler:
>>> https://github.com/apache/couchdb/blob/master/src/couchdb/couch_httpd_misc_handlers.erl#L66
>>> While this issue isn't annoying, I think the better fix is to get
>>> ready Fauxton and replace Futon with it instead of having yet another
>>> redirect case in handler's code (:
>>
>> I assume that at least for the next release Fauxton will not be ready and we haven’t yet resolved how to actually do the transition (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1954) I strongly suggest we do in fact add another special clause to that function to support both /_utils/fauxton/ and /_utils/fauxton
>
> A commit for your review: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=blobdiff;f=src/couchdb/couch_httpd_misc_handlers.erl;h=cd7b4287c3a1ea598362570dad50d2ba7447dbc4;hp=96a05c6d63beee32151cc1de47666cb2500958fe;hb=de20e995;hpb=0f3735887b80d6e057abade2703c99f81cd92ca5

It works! Looks good for me.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
You mean, generate the full Fauxton build?

That would be good, though we badly need to fix things for the next
release so that we don't have to do this stuff as a separate step.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 05 Jan 2014, at 19:24 , Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>> -1 on COUCHDB-1988 & 89. Neither of them are critical and require fiddling with autotools which are notorious to get wrong. As noted on the commit thread, 1989 currently fails make distcheck. And 1988 has no patch. Let’s not do these just before a release, but just after one, so we have some more time to catch problems.
>
> I'd like to suggest take at least Posix tar fix from 1989 branch:
> http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/commit/12c9ee07
>
> There was questions about this bug on #couchdb from users that built
> packages for, iirc, RHEL, or something. For those case they had fixed
> it by local patch, but I feel better have such in upstream. I could
> recover related discussion logs if needed.

No need to hold the release for this, IMHO.

Jan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 05 Jan 2014, at 13:59 , Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On 05 Jan 2014, at 10:56 , Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

>> not

>>> I have no objection, but I'd prefer not to hold off the release for
>>> it. That said, I probably won't have time to cut the artefact today,
>>> so you can land them.
>>
>> +0 on COUCHDB-1960 (mini-review on the ticket)
>>

> well at least this code had a review.

Yeah, this is good to go, but it is not worth holding the release for this :)

Best
Jan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 05 Jan 2014, at 10:56 , Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I would like to include in this release the following tickets if it's
> not
> >> too late:
> >>
> >> COUCHDB-1960
> >> COUCHDB-1988
> >> COUCHDB-1989
> >
> > I have no objection, but I'd prefer not to hold off the release for
> > it. That said, I probably won't have time to cut the artefact today,
> > so you can land them.
>
> +0 on COUCHDB-1960 (mini-review on the ticket)

well at least this code had a review.

> -1 on COUCHDB-1988 & 89. Neither of them are critical and require fiddling
> with autotools which are notorious to get wrong. As noted on the commit
> thread, 1989 currently fails make distcheck. And 1988 has no patch. Let’s
> not do these just before a release, but just after one, so we have some
> more time to catch problems.

ok.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On 05 Jan 2014, at 10:56 , Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to include in this release the following tickets if it's not
>> too late:
>>
>> COUCHDB-1960
>> COUCHDB-1988
>> COUCHDB-1989
>
> I have no objection, but I'd prefer not to hold off the release for
> it. That said, I probably won't have time to cut the artefact today,
> so you can land them.

+0 on COUCHDB-1960 (mini-review on the ticket)

-1 on COUCHDB-1988 & 89. Neither of them are critical and require fiddling with autotools which are notorious to get wrong. As noted on the commit thread, 1989 currently fails make distcheck. And 1988 has no patch. Let’s not do these just before a release, but just after one, so we have some more time to catch problems.

In general I’d say master is ready for branching & release and Dirkjan should just cut and go as soon as he finds time. Everything else can go into 1.6.1 four weeks from now.

Best
Jan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
I would like to include in this release the following tickets if it's not
too late:

COUCHDB-1960
COUCHDB-1988
COUCHDB-1989

The two last one will ease the merge later and I already use them in the
(for now private) rcouch branch before moving all the code around

- benoit

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Jan,

I’ve updated the Fauxton readme (src/fauxton/readme) with the required steps.

Cheers
Garren

On 12 December 2013 at 9:32:36 PM, Jan Lehnardt (jan@apache.org) wrote:

Garren, could you share what is needed to build/deploy Fauxton in the way you do?

Best
Jan
--

On 11 Dec 2013, at 07:44 , Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Dirkjan,
>
> I can make a release on Saturday morning if that is not to late?
>
> Cheers
> Garren
>
> On 10 December 2013 at 7:38:20 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman (dirkjan@ochtman.nl) wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org> wrote:
>> When is Dirkjan going to cut this release?
>
> I never got any response to this:
>
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>> I think I talked to Garren a little bit on IRC. It would be really
>> helpful to get this answered? At worst, we'd need someone to rebuild
>> the built copy of Fauxton we keep in the tree for release purposed.
>> Can someone take care of that?
>>
>> Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, life has been keeping me busy
>> again. So my window for today has passed. The weekend is pretty busy,
>> so once Fauxton build clears I'll try to find some slot to come up
>> with an artefact.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

- signature.asc, 817 bytes

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
Hi Dirkjan,

I can make a release on Saturday morning if that is not to late?

Cheers
Garren

On 10 December 2013 at 7:38:20 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman (dirkjan@ochtman.nl) wrote:

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org> wrote:
> When is Dirkjan going to cut this release?

I never got any response to this:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> I think I talked to Garren a little bit on IRC. It would be really
> helpful to get this answered? At worst, we'd need someone to rebuild
> the built copy of Fauxton we keep in the tree for release purposed.
> Can someone take care of that?
>
> Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, life has been keeping me busy
> again. So my window for today has passed. The weekend is pretty busy,
> so once Fauxton build clears I'll try to find some slot to come up
> with an artefact.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org> wrote:
> When is Dirkjan going to cut this release?

I never got any response to this:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> I think I talked to Garren a little bit on IRC. It would be really
> helpful to get this answered? At worst, we'd need someone to rebuild
> the built copy of Fauxton we keep in the tree for release purposed.
> Can someone take care of that?
>
> Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner, life has been keeping me busy
> again. So my window for today has passed. The weekend is pretty busy,
> so once Fauxton build clears I'll try to find some slot to come up
> with an artefact.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.
When is Dirkjan going to cut this release? For the Fauxton side of things we are busy working hard to get a new version done by the end of the week which will have a fair amount of UI tweaks and improvements. We still need to integrate the building of Fauxton into the build scripts. So if there is some one able to do that or help us with that, that would be great.

With regards to /_utils/fauxton/ and /_utils/fauxton. I’ve lost track of this conversation. Is it possible to do /_utils/fauxton?

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.

Re: Next release planning

Posted by Simon Metson <si...@cloudant.com>.