Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org> on 2019/08/02 16:08:03 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release schedule

I think it would be good for Accumulo to adopt a Long Term Support (LTS)
type release schedule.  It seems to work well for other projects like
Ubuntu and now Java is doing the same.  We could have 2 branches of LTS
versions, similar to what we have now with 1.9 and 2.0.  Then set a
schedule, say every 6 months or a year, release a minor/major version.  For
example:

1.9.0 LTS released April 2018
2.0.0 LTS released August 2019
1.10.0 LTS scheduled to release April 2020
2.x.0 LTS scheduled to release August 2021

Bug fixes for the versions can be released as needed.  We can even release
minor versions, like 2.1.0 just as a tag, and then merge into the main 2.x
branch.  That way we only ever have to deal with 2 branches.  The
motivation for this is to not have so much time (and so many changes)
between releases like we did for 2.0.  This would also help users with
scheduling upgrades.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release schedule

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
I think we have to declare 2.0 and 1.9 LTS.  If you look back at the
history of our releases, we are basically already doing this... adding a
LTS label to a release I think would just help users.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.