Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2003/10/22 22:29:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: {SPAM 03.1} [users@httpd] mod_proxy: problem with basic auth to backend server

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 Frederik.Dahlke@ruv.de wrote:
> ProxyPass /test http://user:pass@restriced.server.com
> ProxyPassReverse /test http://user:pass@restriced.server.com

Putting user/pass in the URL is a browser hack.  The apache proxy won't
support it.

But this really shouldn't be necessary.  You can use IP-based restrictions
to allow any request from the proxy's IP address.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] mod_proxy: problem with basic auth to backend server

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:
> Yet, I am reluctant to call it a browser hack, as it is seems valid in an
> absolute URI, while it is the client's responsibility to parse and translate
> it for the scheme at hand.

Perhaps browser "hack" is a little strong.  But it is something that must
be resolved at the browser.  Since mod_proxy is acting as a client, it
could theoretically do that resolution.  But I can't imagine any real
situations were it would be useful.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: {SPAM 03.1} [users@httpd] mod_proxy: problem with basic auth to backend server

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> > I used to think so myself, but it is indeed "defined" in RFC 2396:
>
> RFC2396 defines the general format for the URI.  How it is applied to HTTP
> is defined in RFC 2616.

I stand corrected. I see now that it was a somewhat hasty conclusion,
triggered by someone (on this list, I think), claiming successful use of the
http://user:pass@host/ format in a Location header, and a quick (and
incomplete) glance at RFC 2616 where it said it "adopts the definitions of
[...] 'absoluteURI' [...] from [RFC 2396]".

If I would have bothered reading the following section, 3.2.2 http URL, I
would have found:

   http_URL = "http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path [ "?" query ]]

Which, obviously, does not include any userinfo part.

Yet, I am reluctant to call it a browser hack, as it is seems valid in an
absolute URI, while it is the client's responsibility to parse and translate
it for the scheme at hand.

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Re: {SPAM 03.1} [users@httpd] mod_proxy: problem with basic auth to backend server

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> Putting user/pass in the URL is a browser hack.  The apache proxy won't
> support it.

I used to think so myself, but it is indeed "defined" in RFC 2396:

absoluteURI   = scheme ":" ( hier_part | opaque_part )
hier_part     = ( net_path | abs_path ) [ "?" query ]
net_path      = "//" authority [ abs_path ]
authority     = server | reg_name
server        = [ [ userinfo "@" ] hostport ]
userinfo      = *( unreserved | escaped |

Granted, the format and semantics of userinfo isn't defined here.

This part is also included in the apr_uri_t structure, as the user and
password members, which in turn is used in the request_rec structure.
However, I am very sceptic about (ab)using this the way the OP wanted, as it
would introduce inconsistency.

Regards,
Robert Andersson