Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/04 11:54:06 UTC

Out of memory message

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this problem? I've been running tests running a
small number of threads starting over a 1 minute period with no problem with
JMeter. I increased the size of the number of threads to 500 to start up
over an 8 hour period. JMeter threw an 'Out of Memory' error.
I had already increased available RAM to Jmeter and the only thing left to
me is to remove one of the two listeners from the script.
The available RAM was set at "set HEAP=-Xms1024m -Xmx1536m". Is this OK???
Should the Xms value be lower? My PC has 2Gb of RAM available.

Any help with this much appreciated...

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Sudip Kumar Bhattacharya <sk...@gmail.com>.
Try running your test in CUI mode instead of GUI mode.
If that does not work either, try to distribute it over 2-3 machines.
Sent on my BlackBerry® from Vodafone

Posted by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com>.
Heartfelt apologies all round... I've had a rough day here. In fairness, my
question was 'How', not 'Can'.
I just find the Scheduler a tad confusing, believe me, I've read and re-read
the manual but it still makes no sense. I've previously tried to enter just
a start time but if I do that the End Time defaults to the current time.
I'll take another look and see if I can work it out...

And no, you're right Felix, I'm not a great dispenser of information because
I'm still learning myself. I don't know enough about the application to
confidently dispense any knowledge, however, I may just put something useful
up on youtube in the future to assist any JMeter novices like me!

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Come now, Blostin, you're not exactly the great dispenser of information
yourself ;p

If you will so much as *look* at the Thread Group configuration, you
will find once you enable the Scheduler, that it has fields that
obviously do *exactly* what you've asked. I suggest Suresh tried not to
insult your intelligence by implying that you may not be using a version
that supports said feature. It would have been considerate not to insult
his indulgence in return.

Just my 2c...

Re: Out of memory message

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Suresh Rajachar <su...@yahoo.com>.
If you are using Jmeter 2.4 this feature is available.

Regards,
Suresh R

________________________________
Posted by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com>.
And just one more thing...

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com>.
What sort of Listener? Does removing it help? How fast does Jmeter go down?

Otherwise, go with an earlier suggestion and distribute your test across
as many Jmeter Servers as possible.

I've removed the Results Tree listener and I plan to run JMeter on a number
of PC's to simulate a larger load on the server.
It looks like everything will be alright now...

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
You're not answering the questions you're being asked.

On 08/04/10 16:26, Blostin wrote:

> If I employ distributed testing across different machines what is the
> accepted modus operandi here?
> Do I need to run the smaller user loads at different times, i.e. 100 users
> starting at 22:00 running over one hour, 100 users on another machine
> starting at 23:00 running over one hour, etc...?
> OR
> Can I kick off 5 tests on 5 machines all at the same time, each running 100
> users over a one hour period?

The latter is what is supposed to happen.

> Presumably I can use JMeter in GUI mode for the above. I've no idea how to
> use it running a dos interface.

You have been advised to try non-GUI to see if that helps your problem.
You've failed to do so. It's not that hard, and the documentation is
quite clear about it.

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com>.
If I employ distributed testing across different machines what is the
accepted modus operandi here?
Do I need to run the smaller user loads at different times, i.e. 100 users
starting at 22:00 running over one hour, 100 users on another machine
starting at 23:00 running over one hour, etc...?
OR
Can I kick off 5 tests on 5 machines all at the same time, each running 100
users over a one hour period?

Presumably I can use JMeter in GUI mode for the above. I've no idea how to
use it running a dos interface.

Again, thanks for your input and any help much appreciated.

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
What sort of Listener? Does removing it help? How fast does Jmeter go down?

Otherwise, go with an earlier suggestion and distribute your test across
as many Jmeter Servers as possible.

HTH,
Felix

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the reply Felix.

It seems with JMeter that every corner I turn I run in to a new problem. I
admit I'm quite new to JMeter but I've followed all the guidelines to the
letter of the law when it comes to creating and running a test.
The test is basic but comprehensive. I only have one listener. I have
checked "Retrieve All Embedded...", etc... I have accepted all the advise
given but still I can't run a test of 500 simulated users logging on over an
8 hour period without JMeter crapping out on me.
At this stage I'm totally frustrated with it. I need results to present to
my boss and I need them fast. I need to be confident that JMeter will do
what I want it to do, i.e. perform a load test but all I get is problems.

I know I must be doing something wrong... but trying to find that 'something
wrong' is proving to be extremely frustrating!

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Blostin,

it can be frustrating, I guess. From my experience, recorded plans don't
work well with large numbers of threads.

Have you made sure not to have unnecessary samplers?

Also, try removing all listeners and running in no-GUI mode with the -l
option to write performance data to a file. You may find that to be of
advantage.

HTH,
Felix

Re: Out of memory message

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Does your recording include inline content such as images?

It shouldn't; if it does, remove the offending samplers and check the
"Retrieve embedded resources" box in the remaining HTTP samplers.

Other than that, try to generalize things and use loops if applicable,
as suggested by Best Practices.

HTH,
Felix

Re: Out of memory message

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Does your test plan understand your application logic, using e.g.
regular expression extraction?

Or have you recorded numerous paths that you have your threads walk
through linearly?

Try and follow the Best Practices. Otherwise, we will need some more
detials to answer that question.

Felix

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Blostin <ei...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies guys!

Felix Frank-2 wrote...

"for large numbers of threads, be careful to keep the whole test as small as
possible."

How do I keep my test as small as possible when I need to simulate a lot of
users accessing the system through a web app and completing all the forms?

I need to keep my test as realistic as possible but I also need to increase
my thread numbers from 50 threads all starting over a 10 minute period to a
more realistic scenario where 500 users log into the system over a 6 hour
period and complete registration.

I thought that 500 threads over 6 hours would be a much smaller load than 50
threads starting over a 10 minute period!! But it seems to play havoc with
JMeter!

Re: Out of memory message

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
Hi,