Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anand HS <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/10 01:00:29 UTC

Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Hi,
We plan to use tomcat to let users download static content ( media,
executables etc.. ). I was curious to know if any one has attempted it
before and if so, the settings that we need to make to tomcat configurations
to make it optimally serve static content.

Thanks,
Anand

Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:10 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Anand HS [mailto:anandhs@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server
>
>> We plan to use tomcat to let users download static content
>> ( media, executables etc.. ).
>
> As much as I like Tomcat, I have to think it might be more appropriate to use Apache httpd rather than Tomcat for pure static content.  However, if you really want to use Tomcat, and you expect a heavy load, install the APR connector (especially important if you're using SSL).  The other major configuration setting would be the Java heap size, but you'll have to experiment to determine what's optimal for your platform and load.

+1. Let Apache / Nginx / etc serve the static content and let Tomcat
focus on running your webapplication.

-- Sriram

Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Anand HS [mailto:anandhs@gmail.com]
> Subject: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

> We plan to use tomcat to let users download static content
> ( media, executables etc.. ).

As much as I like Tomcat, I have to think it might be more appropriate to use Apache httpd rather than Tomcat for pure static content.  However, if you really want to use Tomcat, and you expect a heavy load, install the APR connector (especially important if you're using SSL).  The other major configuration setting would be the Java heap size, but you'll have to experiment to determine what's optimal for your platform and load.

 - Chuck

Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Sriram Narayanan [mailto:sriramnrn@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server
>
>> I myself agree that common practice is not the same as best practice,
>> though in my experience as a developer + sysadmin for the past few
>> years, it is indeed ideal to separate the serving of static content
>> from the service of application responses.
>
> Your opinion; mine's the opposite (with 40+ years of experience).  Simpler is pretty much always better, if it can get the job done.

I guess it depends on what you've had to face, then.

There are all these static content serving strategies and technologies
being developed. There certainly is a reason for those.

>  - Chuck

-- Sriram

RE: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com>.
I re-read my own responses. It looks like some context has not come
across in the non-interative nature of email.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Bill,

This is fun.

On 6/13/2011 3:58 PM, Bill Miller wrote:
>>> Enlighten me: what is "the" reason that this is common practice?
>
> The most obvious reason for having HTTP server in front of an
> Application Server (Tomcat) is that there are many things that you
> can do at/in the HTTP server that you don't have available to you
> inside Tomcat.

Fair enough, but you shouldn't just throw httpd in the mix because those
features are available. You should only turn to Apache httpd when you
actually need one of those features.

I'm just suggesting that httpd/Tomcat as a "standard setup" is a thing
of the past. Sure, lots of people do it, but lots of those people
shouldn't be doing it.

> Things like:
> -Caching
> -Proxy
> -Load balancing
> -Static image serving (much more economical because the HTTP server
> is much lighter "weight" than a JVM/App server)

Really? What benchmarking have you done? Because I have benchmarked
httpd against Tomcat's NIO and APR connectors and I can tell you that
Tomcat scales just as well (better under certain conditions). Why
shouldn't it? It's the same code in the case of APR.

Here's my data and writeup:
http://people.apache.org/~schultz/ApacheCon%20NA%202010/

> -etc...

Wait, there's /more/? You must be right, then.

> The most common/safest configuration is the HTTP server being
> directly available to the internet and the Application Servers being hidden
> behind firewalls with only 1 port per IP address forwarded through the
> firewall.

The safest usable configuration has the application servers not directly
accessible from the Internet, or any other dangerous place. There's no
reason that a full-blown http server has to be in between them. Load
balancers, proxies, etc. are all other options that are equally viable.

> Also if you want to do clustering with failover or sequential updates
> it is better to have something in front of the actual application
> server that doesn't need to be changed much.

Agreed, but there's no reason for that thing to be httpd.

> HTTP servers are also much more efficient at processing HTTP
> connections and HTTPS traffic than Application Servers.

References, please? You do know that the APR connector runs the same
code as Apache httpd, right? Note that I didn't benchmark HTTPS speeds
for the above presentation, though my expectation is that JSSE will be
easily out-performed by both Apache httpd and Tomcat/APR, unless some
JSSE-friendly hardware SSL acceleration is available (which would
presumably be usable by OpenSSL, anyway, probably giving the slight edge
back to httpd/APR/OpenSSL).

> Besides, if you want an outage message, where would you serve that
> from if not from an HTTP server?

Load balancer, proxy, etc. You don't have to use Apache httpd + mod_jk
or whatever just to get a "down" page showing when you are having an outage.

- -chris

RE: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Bill Miller <mi...@gmail.com>.
>> Enlighten me: what is "the" reason that this is common practice?

The most obvious reason for having HTTP server in front of an Application Server (Tomcat) is that there are many things that you can do at/in the HTTP server that you don't have available to you inside Tomcat. Things like:
-Caching
-Proxy
-Load balancing
-Static image serving (much more economical because the HTTP server is much lighter "weight" than a JVM/App server)
-etc...

The most common/safest configuration is the HTTP server being directly available to the internet and the Application Servers being hidden behind firewalls with only 1 port per IP address forwarded through the firewall.

The most common reason for this is that an Application Server requires usually requires access to many more things than a simple HTTP server (Databases, Network Disk space, etc..) and those other things are MUCH more difficult to secure against external intrusions. Also if you want to do clustering with failover or sequential updates it is better to have something in front of the actual application server that doesn't need to be changed much. It will just simplify ongoing daily maintenance (it looks more complicated but in the long run it makes things a lot simpler). HTTP servers are also much more efficient at processing HTTP connections and HTTPS traffic than Application Servers.

Besides, if you want an outage message, where would you serve that from if not from an HTTP server?

Bill

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Sriram Narayanan <sr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Caldarale, Charles R
<Ch...@unisys.com> wrote:
>> From: Caldarale, Charles R
>> Subject: RE: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server
>
>> > We plan to use tomcat to let users download static content
>> > ( media, executables etc.. ).
>
>> As much as I like Tomcat, I have to think it might be more
>> appropriate to use Apache httpd rather than Tomcat for pure
>> static content.
>
> I have to qualify my statement: if the *only* thing you're using Tomcat for is delivering static content, then httpd would be better.  If you have other reasons to use Tomcat (e.g., running servlets or JSPs), then by all means use it as your static content server as well.  You will generally see better performance overall by not having two servers in the mix forced to communicate with each other.

Having one application serve static content, and having other
applications serve other content (accept http requests, perform some
processing, and send back responses, for e.g.), is actually a widely
accepted and tested mechanism of using various stacks for various
tasks. Given that we have binary communication between httpd and
tomcat, and that this allows for Tomcat to be installed and used in
all manner of ways (dedicated instances for specific web apps, or load
balanced instances, for e.g.), I don't think "forced" is the right
term at all.

In fact, the vast majority of websites out there specifically stick in
proxies and such in front of tomcat for  SSL termination, load
balancing, and static content serving.

-- Sriram

Re: Optimal Settings to use Tomcat as a HTTP File Server

Posted by Anand HS <an...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Charles and Sriram for your inputs.
Since my requirement is to just serve static content, I will consider apache
httpd for it.

Thanks.!
Anand

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.