Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by CHIME System Admin <sy...@chime.ucl.ac.uk> on 2007/06/05 15:04:32 UTC

Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Hi,

# spamassassin --version
SpamAssassin version 3.1.8
   running on Perl version 5.8.8

# sa-update --version
sa-update version svn507100
   running on Perl version 5.8.8

Sa-update command line run via cron

/usr/local/bin/sa-update --channelfile
/etc/mail/spamassassin/sare-sa-update-channels.txt

Channel file:

updates.spamassassin.org
70_sare_adult.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_evilnum0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_header0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_html0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_obfu0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_random.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_specific.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
70_sare_stocks.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net

Every now and then I get the following errors from the cron job:

Subroutine new redefined at /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm
line 98.
Subroutine _get_images redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 223.
Subroutine image_named redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 260.
Subroutine image_count redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 276.
Subroutine pixel_coverage redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 292.
Subroutine image_to_text_ratio redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 308.
Subroutine image_size_exact redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 330.
Subroutine image_size_range redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 346.
Subroutine result_check redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 374.

I haven't been able to repeat these errors when running from the command
line, and they don't appear every time the cron job is run.  Because of
this I suspect that they only appear when there is an update available.

I understand about 3.2.0 including ImageInfo and possible conflicts, but
I didn't think this affected 3.1.8.

Any thoughts?

--
System Admin
CHIME, Royal Free & University Collge Medical School

Re: Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Anthony Peacock wrote:
> Hi Daryl,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me.
>
> But...  I don't have 3.2 installed.

Which I would have known if I read the debug output, rather than just
trying the config files.

I'll try it out with 3.1.8.

Daryl

Re: Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi Daryl,

--
Anthony Peacock
"I'm in shape. - ROUND is a shape"

Re: Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi Daryl,

Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Anthony Peacock wrote:
>
>> But, if I move the ImageInfo.pm file into the site plugin directory,
>> the errors go away.  Interestingly, the VBounce and Botnet plugins
>> don't get loaded by sa-update for testing.  I think this is because
>> the LoadPlugin lines are actually in the plugin's .cf files and not in
>> a .pre file (that is how they came).
>>

>> So I seem to have fixed the problem.  What I don't understand is why
>> it suddenly started playing up like this.  I have been using sa-update
>> and ImageInfo in this way for a long time now, and it is only recently
>> that sa-update start to give these errors.  The only major thing that
>> has changed is a Perl upgrade from 5.8.2 to 5.8.8, so it might be that
>> this is what caused the change in behaviour although I can't pin down
>> the start of the problem wit the time of the upgrade.
>
> Prior to 3.1.7 sa-update didn't try to load any plugins that you
> configured yourself.  3.1.8 and later will use any .pre files found in
> your site config directory when attempting to lint updates.  3.1.7 used
> both the .pre and .cf files with less than optimal results.
>
> Moving the plugin shouldn't have an affect on this.  Can you please
> provide a complete debug output from sa-update demonstrating

Well, to be precise it wasn't the moving of the plugin, but loading it
without the second value to the loadplugin config line that fixes it.
Setting up to produce the debug output for this I left the plugin in
both locations and was able to change the behaviour just by changing the
loadplugin from one or two parameters.

I attach four files, created by clearing the
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008 directory and running the following command

/usr/local/bin/sa-update --debug --gpgkey 856AA88A --channelfile
/etc/mail/spamassassin/sare-sa-update-channels.txt > debug.txt 2>&1

The files are:
v312-works.pre:     The .pre file that 'works'
debug-works.txt:    The debug output created using the above .pre file

v312-error.pre:     The .pre file that causes the problem
debug-error.txt:    The debug output created using the above .pre file

Hope this helps, let me know if you need more info.

--
Anthony Peacock
"A CAT scan should take less time than a PET scan.  For a CAT scan,

Re: Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Anthony Peacock wrote:

> But, if I move the ImageInfo.pm file into the site plugin directory, the
> errors go away.  Interestingly, the VBounce and Botnet plugins don't get
> loaded by sa-update for testing.  I think this is because the LoadPlugin
> lines are actually in the plugin's .cf files and not in a .pre file
> (that is how they came).
>

> So I seem to have fixed the problem.  What I don't understand is why it
> suddenly started playing up like this.  I have been using sa-update and
> ImageInfo in this way for a long time now, and it is only recently that
> sa-update start to give these errors.  The only major thing that has
> changed is a Perl upgrade from 5.8.2 to 5.8.8, so it might be that this
> is what caused the change in behaviour although I can't pin down the
> start of the problem wit the time of the upgrade.

Prior to 3.1.7 sa-update didn't try to load any plugins that you
configured yourself.  3.1.8 and later will use any .pre files found in
your site config directory when attempting to lint updates.  3.1.7 used
both the .pre and .cf files with less than optimal results.

Moving the plugin shouldn't have an affect on this.  Can you please
provide a complete debug output from sa-update demonstrating this?

Thanks,

Daryl

Re: Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Anthony Peacock wrote:
>
>> And as I noted above, by the time I see the error from the cron
>> output, running sa-update by hand does not show the problem.  It is
>> almost as if it only happen if there really is an update to download.
>
> rm -f /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008 or wherever and run sa-update
> manually with debug enabled.

OK, some feedback after a lot of testing.

My original config had placed the ImageInfo plugin in a directory within
my SA config dir (/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins), and used this
loadplugin line in v312.pre.

loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm

Using this setup sa-update correctly lints the config prior to updating

[10524] dbg: generic: lint checking site pre files once before
attempting channel updates

[10832] dbg: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo from
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm
[10832] dbg: plugin: registered
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo=HASH(0x95dea6c)

But then gives the following error when checking after downloading an
update:

[10832] dbg: plugin: loading Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo from
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm
Subroutine new redefined at /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm
line 109.
Subroutine _get_images redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 235.
Subroutine image_named redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 272.
Subroutine image_name_regex redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 288.
Subroutine image_count redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 316.
Subroutine pixel_coverage redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 332.
Subroutine image_to_text_ratio redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 348.
Subroutine image_size_exact redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 370.
Subroutine image_size_range redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 386.
Subroutine result_check redefined at
/etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 414.
[10832] dbg: plugin: registered
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::ImageInfo=HASH(0x9790824)

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> Anthony Peacock wrote:
>
>> And as I noted above, by the time I see the error from the cron
>> output, running sa-update by hand does not show the problem.  It is
>> almost as if it only happen if there really is an update to download.
>

> rm -f /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001008 or wherever and run sa-update
> manually with debug enabled.

Doh!  Of course.

When I get back into the office in the morning I will have a go at this.

Thanks.

--
Anthony Peacock
"I'm in shape. - ROUND is a shape"

Re: Problem with sa-update and ImageInfo

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi Daryl,

Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
> CHIME System Admin wrote:
>
>> Sa-update command line run via cron
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/sa-update --channelfile
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/sare-sa-update-channels.txt
>

> You sure that's the command line you're using?  Its missing the --gpgkey
> or --gpgkeyfile option required to have any of the SARE channels to
> actually be used.

No, I took that out before posting, as I couldn't remember if it was a
public value or not.  The real one does have the GPGkey in it.

>> Channel file:
>>
>> updates.spamassassin.org
>> 70_sare_adult.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_evilnum0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_header0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_html0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_obfu0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_random.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_specific.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 70_sare_stocks.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>> 99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>>

>> Every now and then I get the following errors from the cron job:
>>
>> Subroutine new redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 98.
>> Subroutine _get_images redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 223.
>> Subroutine image_named redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 260.
>> Subroutine image_count redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 276.
>> Subroutine pixel_coverage redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 292.
>> Subroutine image_to_text_ratio redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 308.
>> Subroutine image_size_exact redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 330.
>> Subroutine image_size_range redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 346.
>> Subroutine result_check redefined at
>> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 374.
>>
>> I haven't been able to repeat these errors when running from the
>> command line, and they don't appear every time the cron job is run.
>> Because of this I suspect that they only appear when there is an
>> update available.
>>
>> I understand about 3.2.0 including ImageInfo and possible conflicts,
>> but I didn't think this affected 3.1.8.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>

> Something is causing the ImageInfo plugin to be loaded twice.  Check the
> debug output from sa-update or provide a copy of the complete debug
> output here.

That is what I was thinking, but I can't understand why this happens for
sa-update and not spamassassin.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Luis Hernán Otegui wrote:
> That's ok, just threw my two cents... Same thing happened to me, and I
> tracked it down to the "loading twice" issue, but I never said I had
> the truth...
> Maybe some extra cf file getting loaded from the updates dir?
> Remember, as updates are present, almost everything gets loaded from
> there, ruling appart the /usr/share/spamassassin dir and some other cf
> files as well...

That is what I was thinking might be happening.  I put my question to
the list in the hope that someone might say "whoops! We included a 3.2.0
(which includes ImageInfo by default) in the 3.1.8 channels by mistake...

But I guess if that was happening more people would have piped up by now
  :-)

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.

Posted by Anthony Peacock <a....@chime.ucl.ac.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Luis Hernán Otegui <lu...@gmail.com>.
You're probably loading the plugin twice, one from your local.cf or a
v3**.pre file, and the other from the ImageInfo.cf. Take out one of
the LoadPlugin directives (preferably the one from local.cf or the
*.pre files), and everything will go fine.

Luix

2007/6/5, CHIME System Admin <sy...@chime.ucl.ac.uk>:
> Hi,
>
> # spamassassin --version
> SpamAssassin version 3.1.8
>    running on Perl version 5.8.8
>
> # sa-update --version
> sa-update version svn507100
>    running on Perl version 5.8.8
>
> Sa-update command line run via cron
>
> /usr/local/bin/sa-update --channelfile
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/sare-sa-update-channels.txt
>
> Channel file:
>
> updates.spamassassin.org
> 70_sare_adult.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_bayes_poison_nxm.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_evilnum0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_header0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_html0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_obfu0.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_random.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_specific.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 70_sare_stocks.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
> 99_sare_fraud_post25x.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
>

> Every now and then I get the following errors from the cron job:
>
> Subroutine new redefined at /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm
> line 98.
> Subroutine _get_images redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 223.
> Subroutine image_named redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 260.
> Subroutine image_count redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 276.
> Subroutine pixel_coverage redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 292.
> Subroutine image_to_text_ratio redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 308.
> Subroutine image_size_exact redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 330.
> Subroutine image_size_range redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 346.
> Subroutine result_check redefined at
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/plugins/ImageInfo.pm line 374.
>
> I haven't been able to repeat these errors when running from the command
> line, and they don't appear every time the cron job is run.  Because of
> this I suspect that they only appear when there is an update available.
>
> I understand about 3.2.0 including ImageInfo and possible conflicts, but
> I didn't think this affected 3.1.8.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> --
> System Admin
> CHIME, Royal Free & University Collge Medical School
> E-Mail: system-admin@chime.ucl.ac.uk

GNU-GPL: "May The Source Be With You...
Linux Registered User #448382.
When I grow up, I wanna be like Theo...