Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by HANAX <ha...@hanaxsoftware.com> on 2005/07/04 22:59:49 UTC

plugin domain name

Greetings

Few day ago I subscripted to this mailing list and I've observed that this is the place for discussion.
So my first question is: I want to make voice plugin. Which domain name I have to use for plugin name?

Thanx
HANAX

Re: plugin domain name

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
HANAX wrote:
> Greetings
>
> Few day ago I subscripted to this mailing list and I've observed that this is the place for discussion.

Welcome.

For the benefit of other devs here, HANAX submitted an outstanding
application for the Google Summer of Code programme. With his permission
I will share his proposal with the community so that you have an idea of
who he is and what his proposed plugin is.

I had rated both his and Anils proposal as being ones a I would like to
mentor. Unfortunately there were not enough projects available to Apache
for us to have two projects within Forrest (despite Apache having more
awards than any mentoring organisation). Anils project has a wider user
base and so became the one to receive an award.

Since I had been very impressed with HANAX, his proposal and his
collaboration on creating the proposal I invited him to join our
community anyway. I am thrilled to see him here and am sure he will he
will find us a welcoming bunch.

The initial project description can be found at
http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2005#forrest-voice

HANAX, can I share your proposal with the community via this public list?

> So my first question is: I want to make voice plugin. Which domain name I have to use for plugin name?

By domain name I assume you mean the name of the plugin, for example:

org.apache.forrest.plugin.output.Voice

If you do then we have naming conventions documented at
http://forrest.apache.org/pluginDocs/plugins_0_80/pluginInfrastructure.html#Naming+Conventions

If it is your intention to donate the plugin to Apache (and I sincerely
hope it is) then the above suggested name would be ideal. If you wish to
host the plugin yourself then use the naming conventions to help you
decide on a suitable name.

If I have misunderstood your question, sorry, I'll try again if you
rephrase it.

Ross