Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/18 20:47:51 UTC

[FlexJS] Issue with building example

Hi Guys,

I am trying to build one of the example DataBindingTest with the last
nightly FlexJS build.
I am using FDT IDE and I got an error:

unable to open 'H:\flexsdk\ApacheFlexJS_Nightly\frameworks\locale\en_US'.

Folder locale is empty - Shouldn't contains locale ?

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: [FlexJS] Issue with building example

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Yes it worked! I will try to play a bit with examples. :)

Thanks Alex!

-----

Posted by Alessandro Palombaro <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 on switching on IntelliJ Idea. Made the change a year ago. Never looked
back.

Posted by Mahmoud Ali <mu...@gmail.com>.

> A “deseloper”, actually two of them, joined the project recently.  Mahmoud
> and Bruno donated the FlatSpark theme.  I don’t think it requires designer
> skills to make that theme work for FlexJS, so, IMO, any of us developers
> is welcome to take on that task.

Also remember that FlatSpark is based on FlatUI by designModo [1], so this
could be a great place to start.

[1] - http://designmodo.github.io/Flat-UI/

Re: [FlexJS] Issue with building example

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/20/15, 3:59 AM, "Carlos Rovira" <ca...@codeoscopic.com> wrote:

>IMHO, we need some "deseloper" to get cool UX, graphics and visuals to
>make
>it "enter by the eye" of people looking at FlexJS.
>
>Someone knows a guy that could have this skills and could enjoy with the
>task of making the cool visuals FlexJS deserves?

A “deseloper”, actually two of them, joined the project recently.  Mahmoud
and Bruno donated the FlatSpark theme.  I don’t think it requires designer
skills to make that theme work for FlexJS, so, IMO, any of us developers
is welcome to take on that task.

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Issue with building example

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Yeah, I, in fact, created that ticket :)

Some months ago, I was using IntelliJ for FlexJS development and I think is
usable for this task.
You can always want more features, but I was happy with the basic IDE
usability taking into account that there's no official support nowadays.

I had to left FlexJS, due to all my changes in my life, but I loved it and
hope some day I could return, since I think it's super cool technology.

IMHO, we need some "deseloper" to get cool UX, graphics and visuals to make
it "enter by the eye" of people looking at FlexJS.

Someone knows a guy that could have this skills and could enjoy with the
task of making the cool visuals FlexJS deserves?

Thanks

Carlos

> Carlos, Om, Alessandro Thank you!
>
> Thanks to Harbs I already have this open source license and I am using
> Intellij since v. 10. :)
>
> I have pointed to FB because I know that Alex is using this IDE to
> development of FlexJS - I thought that FB in somehow help with this, but
> this is matter of Ant + Text Editor, so I will choose Intellij to make any
> changes to FlexJS.
>
> You can help with adding suppport for FlexJS to Intellij voting to this
> ticket -> https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/IDEA-116986
> I have sent them 2 months ago enquiry and in section with new feature I
> added FlexJS. They responded to me saying that they need votes to this
> ticket. :)
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC
> piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Mar 19, 2015 5:48 PM, "Carlos Rovira" <ca...@codeoscopic.com>
wrote:

> Piotrz,
>
> I encourage you to ask for your free open source IntelliJ license. Flash
> Builder is no longer updated and moreover, is a joke compared to IntelliJ
> Flex features.
> You, as part of this project can ask for your license, and Jetbrains will
> provide you one at no cost.
>
> Best,
>
> ...and enjoy with IntelliJ :)
>
> Carlos

Here is the link:
https://www.jetbrains.com/eforms/openSourceRequestApache.action?licenseRequest=IIOSA#

Thanks,
Om

> > Alex,
> >
> > But my basic question is - How can I setup my IDE to working with
FlexJS ?
> > Are you doing your changes in FB, building everything using ant and
check
> > on
> > the real examples ?
> >
> > The biggest issue for me is that I don't have FB. I have an old Flex
> > Builder
> > Pro and don't see any chance to upgrade it without 466 Euro. :)
> >
> > Probably I will have to start developing in Intellij IDE.
> >
> > Piotr
> >

> > -----
> > Apache Flex PMC
> > piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com
> > --
Nabble.com.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Piotrz,

I encourage you to ask for your free open source IntelliJ license. Flash
Builder is no longer updated and moreover, is a joke compared to IntelliJ
Flex features.
You, as part of this project can ask for your license, and Jetbrains will
provide you one at no cost.

Best,

...and enjoy with IntelliJ :)

Carlos

> Alex,
>
> But my basic question is - How can I setup my IDE to working with FlexJS ?
> Are you doing your changes in FB, building everything using ant and check
> on
> the real examples ?
>
> The biggest issue for me is that I don't have FB. I have an old Flex
> Builder
> Pro and don't see any chance to upgrade it without 466 Euro. :)
>
> Probably I will have to start developing in Intellij IDE.
>
> Piotr
>

> -----
> Apache Flex PMC
> piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
If you have a text editor and ant you should be able to get things done. Often I just use fb as a text editor.

Sent from my LG G3, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi Piotr,

First, thanks for the fixes you’ve done so far.

You can make any changes you want to files in the FlexJSJX project.  These
files get cross-compiled so the refactoring I’m doing doesn’t care what
the source looks like.  It will make the merge easier if files in the
FlexJSUI project don’t have big changes made to them.  Not sure how long
it will take me to finish up the defineProp change.  Maybe I’ll finish by
next week or at least be able to check it in.

If a component in FlexJSJX has significant differences in AS vs JS, there
can be a number of reasons why.  It could be:

1) The cross-compiler isn’t generating the right thing
2) The FlexJSUI that components in FlexJSJX usually depend on have a bug.
3) Some new class needs to be added to FlexJSUI to abstract a difference
between AS and JS
4) The AS side, especially the layout classes aren’t handling the CSS the
same way as the JS side.  In those cases I try to fix the AS side.  We
wan’t the JS code to run as natively as possible.

Good luck and feel free to ask more questions, although I’m pretty much
done for tonight.

-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/18/15, 12:47 PM, "piotrz" <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I am trying to build one of the example DataBindingTest with the last
>nightly FlexJS build.
>I am using FDT IDE and I got an error:
>
>unable to open 'H:\flexsdk\ApacheFlexJS_Nightly\frameworks\locale\en_US'.
>
>Folder locale is empty - Shouldn't contains locale ?

FlexJS doesn’t have locales yet.  If it were up to me, we’d use a
different default localization scheme for simple cases.

I think the installer creates an empty folder to make FlashBuilder happy
and it doest seem to complain.  Not sure why FDT is complaining.  Maybe
try making an en_US empty folder and see if that is sufficient?

If so, adding that to installer.xml should be straight forward.

-Alex