Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/09/06 00:38:20 UTC

[repository] work in progress

Just a note to say that I've created a fork of the repository package
under which I'm doing a number of experiments:

Primary objective is to arrive at a repository bootstrap system that is
small and immune from future changes (current system is close but not
quite there yet).  In effect, n years from now we should be able to use
the same bootstrap code to load version x of some application where the
application itself declares the version of repository system it is
dependent on.

  1. refractor the package to enable the repository system to
     pass-through command-line arguments to a plugin (thereby
     eliminating the need for application specific command line
     handlers)

  2. eliminate all dependencies from the repository bootstrap
     code to enable repository creation using a single bootstrap
     jar together with a single application artifact
     reference

  3. where possible - simplify the api

  4. generalize the plugin constructor model (enable constructor
arguments
     to be resolved via other plugins)

After spending some time twisting, bending and shaking the current
implementation - in particular - moving cli args and property handling
into the plugin, I'm close to elimination of the factory interface
dependencies. I've managed to resolve items (1) and (2), I'm in the
process of dealing with (3), and thinking about item (4).

Cheers, Steve.