Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bryan Cassidy <c_...@bellsouth.net> on 2002/11/30 23:43:01 UTC

[users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
so ever would be appreciated.

Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

Posted by "Jack L. Stone" <ja...@sage-one.net>.
At 06:08 PM 11.30.2002 -0500, Chris Meadors wrote:
>Bryan Cassidy wrote:
>> OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
>> help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
>> what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
>> info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
>> dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
>> it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
>> restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
>> there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
>> make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
>> restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
>> so ever would be appreciated.
>
>Get a static IP address?
>
>Or get a port forwarding router/firewall that connects to the Internet,
>and forwards connections to port 80 to your server running Apache.  That
>machine would have to be smart enough to rebuild the forwarding rules
>every time your IP changed (most broad band routers can do this), but
>you'll also need something that can connect to dyndns and update your
>record automatically.  A Linux or BSD box acting as a router would be
>able to do this with any problem.
>
>--
>Chris

You just need to do more homework. There are scripts, usually suggested by
such dynamic DNS services that your system runs automatically to update
when an IP is changed..... There is a great one (ddclient) right the in
ports that runs as a daemon to do this.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net
http://www.sage-one.net
jackstone@sage-one.net

RE: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

Posted by "H. Carter Harris" <ca...@technettn.net>.
I used to use TZO in the "other world" to do the same thing ... it worked
like a charm.

On Saturday 30 November 2002 04:08 pm, Chris Meadors wrote:
     > Bryan Cassidy wrote:
     > > OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
     > > help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
     > > what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
     > > info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have
     > > dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes.

I've been running with this setup for a few years now.

     > > Everytime it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip
     > > address and restart apache before anyone including myself can view
     > > the webpage. Is there any sertain configuration I could do on my
own
     > > or something to make this a little simpler than having to go to
     > > dyndns.org *and* restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy
     > > here. Any help what so ever would be appreciated.

Don't set the IP address for apache.  Use the FQDN instead.  Then get
ddclient at the dyndns.org website.  It's easy to configure and works quite
well.

--
Mike Diehl
PGP Encrypted E-mail preferred.

Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

Posted by Mike Diehl <md...@dominion.dyndns.org>.

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.
Issac Goldstand wrote:

> Anyone know how to deal with the flip side of that?  Let's say I have a NAT
> router which serves a mini-network with DHCP - any way to update the
> firewall (iptables in this case) based on the DHCP allocations?  In other
> words, I need to set the *new* destination for the forwarded packets based
> on their DHCP address, which while it's usually steady, could technically
> change whenever :-)

I use a fixed IP address for my web server which is behind a NAT router to
avoid that problem.
Unless your router can router based on machine name (as opposed to IP address),
I don't  see any way around that.

-----------------------
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
http://home.earthlink.net/~k6ccc/
626-302-8515    FAX  626-302-7501
AMSAT member 32537 / WSWSS member 395

Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

Posted by Issac Goldstand <ma...@beamartyr.net>.
> > OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
> > help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
> > what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
> > info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
> > dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
> > it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
> > restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
> > there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
> > make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
> > restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
> > so ever would be appreciated.
>
> Get a static IP address?
>
> Or get a port forwarding router/firewall that connects to the Internet,
> and forwards connections to port 80 to your server running Apache.  That
> machine would have to be smart enough to rebuild the forwarding rules
> every time your IP changed (most broad band routers can do this), but
> you'll also need something that can connect to dyndns and update your
> record automatically.  A Linux or BSD box acting as a router would be
> able to do this with any problem.

On the subject...

Anyone know how to deal with the flip side of that?  Let's say I have a NAT
router which serves a mini-network with DHCP - any way to update the
firewall (iptables in this case) based on the DHCP allocations?  In other
words, I need to set the *new* destination for the forwarded packets based
on their DHCP address, which while it's usually steady, could technically
change whenever :-)

  Issac

Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.

Posted by Mike Diehl <md...@dominion.dyndns.org>.
On Sunday 01 December 2002 10:26 pm, Joseph A Nagy Jr wrote:
     > as for ddclient being easy...it MIGHT be easy if you know what you are
     > looking at, but I found it rather intimidating, but it IS out there to
     > use so you can update your stuff at dyndns.org (as well as others). I

I didn't find it hard to set up.  If you have questions, let me know.  I'll
try to help you.

     > don't need it because unless my I-net connection goes down, my IP
     > doesn't change so I can just log in every few days (sometimes I do so
     > everyday just for the hell of it) and compare what it see's as my

You are working WAY too hard.

     > current IP with what's listed. So far I've only had to update once
     > (although my ISP tells my router I only have a 6 day lease, hehe) in
     > almost two months (I can't remember if it was October or September we
     > had our last service outtage).

This is the nature of DHCP.  But your ISP could change policy and give you a
4 HOUR lease.  Then you might have problems.  Besides, you should be able to
get to your web/mail server no matter what your ISP's policy is....

Posted by Joseph A Nagy Jr <pa...@charter.net>.
Jim Walls wrote:
> Bryan Cassidy wrote:
>

>>OK. This is driving me crazy as hell. Maybe someone out there could
>>help me out with this. I have looked arounf for this but don't know
>>what it would be labled as so I might be searching for the wrong
>>info. I have apache 1.3.27 running on my freebsd 4.6.2 box. i have a
>>dynaic ip address and it changes like crazy on me sometimes. Everytime
>>it changes I *have* to go to dyndns.org and renew my ip address and
>>restart apache before anyone including myself can view the webpage. Is
>>there any sertain configuration I could do on my own or something to
>>make this a little simpler than having to go to dyndns.org *and*
>>restarting apache? I mean this is driving me crazy here. Any help what
>>so ever would be appreciated.
>

> Not sure what is going on there.  I don't know how dyndns,org does it, but I
> run an Apache server under Win 2K using Dns2Go as my Dynamic DNS provider.
> They way it set itself up when installed resulted in very fast response to IP
> address changes.  For example, shortly after I got it set up, I intentionally
> killed my DSL connection, the reconnected it.  From another computer (on a
> dialup, not the same DSL), I verified that the page was working before killing
> the DSL connection.  After killing the DSL, it took about a minute or so
> before Dns2Go detected the off line state and was redirecting requests to the
> web site to the alternate page (on an Earthlink server).  After reconnecting
> the DSL (which gets a different IP address), it again took only a minute or
> so, before requests to the Apache server were going to the new address.

<snip>

Well, as everyone said before, there is ddclient to keep dyndns.org updated on his IP, as for
apache, he just has to not use an IP address (e.g. BindAddress should be set to 'BindAddress *' and
NameVirtualHost needs to be 'NameVirtualHost *' and then his containers should be
<VirtualHost *>
blah blah
</VirtualHost>

For the Apache config settings, I discovered this by RTFM (something I highly recommend, especially
after my question about mod_auth and such (which, btw, I don't have mod_dso.c installed)) when I
first started to use Apache on my WinME box back in the days of Apache 1.2.x. The comments in the
httpd.conf file and the documentation is fairly thorough. I have yet to have a problem that can't be
solved by RTFMing the documentation and studying the comments, playing with settings until something
  doesn't work (and of course going back the last few changes to find the problem), and basically
just goofing with it. BTW, I run Apache 1.3.27 off RedHat 7.2 and all my sites are Perl enabled
(Perl 5.8). :-D

That will eliminate all the described problems.

as for ddclient being easy...it MIGHT be easy if you know what you are looking at, but I found it
rather intimidating, but it IS out there to use so you can update your stuff at dyndns.org (as well
as others). I don't need it because unless my I-net connection goes down, my IP doesn't change so I
can just log in every few days (sometimes I do so everyday just for the hell of it) and compare what
it see's as my current IP with what's listed. So far I've only had to update once (although my ISP
tells my router I only have a 6 day lease, hehe) in almost two months (I can't remember if it was
October or September we had our last service outtage).

--
Joseph A Nagy Jr                 Purgatory is where Windows users go when they
Founder and CEO                  die so they can figure out Linux and ascend into

C.S.S.: Construct Skilled in Sabotage
H.T.M.L.: Hazardous Troubleshooting and Mathematics Lifeform
http://www.brunching.com/cgi/cyborger.cgi?acronym=Linux

Re: [users@httpd] IP Changes like crazy!

Posted by Jim Walls <k6...@earthlink.net>.