Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2022/07/01 16:22:10 UTC

Re: Double cli utils implementations

Am 2022-06-30 um 21:19 schrieb Slawomir Jaranowski:
> Hi,
>
> We have a very similar implementation on cl utils in plexus-utils and in
> maven-shared-util - looks like somewhen was copy paste.
>
> Searching for usage  of CommandLineUtils
>
> plexus-utils is used about 2800 times [1]
> shared-utils is used abutt 100 times [2]
>
> so my proposition is to switch to plexus-utils I will try do it in
> maven-invoker
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/search?l=Java&q=org.codehaus.plexus.util.cli.CommandLineUtils&type=Code
> [2]
> https://github.com/search?l=Java&p=1&q=org.apache.maven.shared.utils.cli.CommandLineUtils&type=Code

I have a slight counter proposal: Instead of blindly moving off to
Plexus Utils for this, would rather create Maven Shared CLI to fix all
annoyances CLI has, e.g., those I mentioned throwing out shell
invocation, etc.

First a diff between both in required, of course. Then part of Maven
Shared Utils is moved to the new component and issues addressed.

Re: Double cli utils implementations

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
My understanding is that maven-shared-utils was created as a clone of
plexus-utils to get back this piece of code under the ASF banner. Which
means that it's mostly a duplicate.  If this never happened (i.e. most
projects still use plexus-utils), we should drop it.  The CLI stuff is also
in plexus-utils, so not sure this is really relevant.

Le ven. 1 juil. 2022 à 18:22, Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Am 2022-06-30 um 21:19 schrieb Slawomir Jaranowski:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a very similar implementation on cl utils in plexus-utils and in
> > maven-shared-util - looks like somewhen was copy paste.
> >
> > Searching for usage  of CommandLineUtils
> >
> > plexus-utils is used about 2800 times [1]
> > shared-utils is used abutt 100 times [2]
> >
> > so my proposition is to switch to plexus-utils I will try do it in
> > maven-invoker
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://github.com/search?l=Java&q=org.codehaus.plexus.util.cli.CommandLineUtils&type=Code
> > [2]
> >
> https://github.com/search?l=Java&p=1&q=org.apache.maven.shared.utils.cli.CommandLineUtils&type=Code
> >

> I have a slight counter proposal: Instead of blindly moving off to
> Plexus Utils for this, would rather create Maven Shared CLI to fix all
> annoyances CLI has, e.g., those I mentioned throwing out shell
> invocation, etc.
>
> First a diff between both in required, of course. Then part of Maven
> Shared Utils is moved to the new component and issues addressed.

------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: Double cli utils implementations

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2022-07-02 um 11:27 schrieb Slawomir Jaranowski:
> Hi,
>
> CLI code is not related to any Maven code ...
>
> I don't understand why we started our own implementation of features
> existing in other libraries, like commons-exec, I know today it looks like
> it is not active.

Because we can. Ego. People will always claim that they can do something
better than everyone else. Otherwise there wouldn't be thousands of
meaningless Linux distros.

Re: Double cli utils implementations

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

sob., 2 lip 2022 o 08:34 Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> napisał(a):

> the plan defined in 2013 was to move step by step to maven-shared-utils
> see:
> - maven shared utils homepage
> https://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-shared-utils/
> - and the proposal done at that time:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MavenSharedUtils
>
> being able to radically change and improve was part of the intent
>
> then this CLI change is really ideal for maven-shared-utils
>
> Le vendredi 1 juillet 2022, 18:22:10 CEST Michael Osipov a écrit :
> > Am 2022-06-30 um 21:19 schrieb Slawomir Jaranowski:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We have a very similar implementation on cl utils in plexus-utils and
> in
> > > maven-shared-util - looks like somewhen was copy paste.
> > >
> > > Searching for usage  of CommandLineUtils
> > >
> > > plexus-utils is used about 2800 times [1]
> > > shared-utils is used abutt 100 times [2]
> > >
> > > so my proposition is to switch to plexus-utils I will try do it in
> > > maven-invoker
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >
> https://github.com/search?l=Java&q=org.codehaus.plexus.util.cli.CommandLin
> > > eUtils&type=Code [2]
> > >
> https://github.com/search?l=Java&p=1&q=org.apache.maven.shared.utils.cli.C
> > > ommandLineUtils&type=Code
> > I have a slight counter proposal: Instead of blindly moving off to
> > Plexus Utils for this, would rather create Maven Shared CLI to fix all
> > annoyances CLI has, e.g., those I mentioned throwing out shell
> > invocation, etc.
> >
> > First a diff between both in required, of course. Then part of Maven
> > Shared Utils is moved to the new component and issues addressed.

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: Double cli utils implementations

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.