Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/06 22:08:51 UTC

[DISCUSS] Documentation Versioning

Hi,

I noticed that Steve 2.0.x header for the documentation. I think this is
preferable.

However, I know that we want to move to a model where the documentation
update is part of the release rather than done against the master post
release.

The current scheme is that we place documentation in a latest directory as
well as a versioned directory. This means that you have to; for example,
build 2.0.x documents setting $TRAFODION_VER to "2.0.0" to ensure that the
documents are placed on the correct versioned directory. The result will be
that the version-dependent documents are placed in
http://trafodion.apache.org/docs/2.0.0/*.

Moving forward, I think it'd be better if we create a $DOCS_VER or
something like that to allow for dot releases without having to create dot
releases of the documentation.

Thoughts?

Gunnar

Re: [DISCUSS] Documentation Versioning

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
This also says that we need to separate documentation updates from website
updates since the latter is on the main branch by definition.

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.
Yes, the pre-release docs are visible in the "Latest (in development)"
section.

I checked with Dave, and he said he put a note in his documentation change
to indicate that it does not apply to 2.0, it is a work-around, but for now
it is okay to use master version for 2.0.

From here on, though, I think we need to assume master branch docs are for

Posted by Gunnar Tapper <ta...@gmail.com>.
Hi Steve,

Posted by Steve Varnau <st...@esgyn.com>.