Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Manuel Lemos <ml...@acm.org> on 2012/02/09 02:33:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Problem when building Apache 2.2.22 with --with-included-apr - libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed

Hello,

I am trying to build Apache 2.2.22 from source.

Since it was giving some missing symbols in APR, I tried to build it
with --with-included-apr .

It compiles OK, but when it tries to link apr it gives me an libtool
error. Full output below.

libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed

Anybody has a clue what is the matter and how can I avoid this?

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/mlemos/src/httpd-2.2.22/srclib/apr'
/bin/sh /home/mlemos/src/httpd-2.2.22/srclib/apr/libtool --silent
--mode=link  gcc -g -O2 -pthread   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DLINUX=2
-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE   -I./include
-I/home/mlemos/src/httpd-2.2.22/srclib/apr/include/arch/unix
-I./include/arch/unix
-I/home/mlemos/src/httpd-2.2.22/srclib/apr/include/arch/unix
-I/home/mlemos/src/httpd-2.2.22/srclib/apr/include  -version-info 4:5:4
    -o libapr-1.la -rpath refix/lib passwd/apr_getpass.lo
strings/apr_cpystrn.lo strings/apr_fnmatch.lo strings/apr_snprintf.lo
strings/apr_strings.lo strings/apr_strnatcmp.lo strings/apr_strtok.lo
tables/apr_hash.lo tables/apr_tables.lo atomic/unix/builtins.lo
atomic/unix/ia32.lo atomic/unix/mutex.lo atomic/unix/ppc.lo
atomic/unix/s390.lo atomic/unix/solaris.lo dso/unix/dso.lo
file_io/unix/buffer.lo file_io/unix/copy.lo file_io/unix/dir.lo
file_io/unix/fileacc.lo file_io/unix/filedup.lo file_io/unix/filepath.lo
file_io/unix/filepath_util.lo file_io/unix/filestat.lo
file_io/unix/flock.lo file_io/unix/fullrw.lo file_io/unix/mktemp.lo
file_io/unix/open.lo file_io/unix/pipe.lo file_io/unix/readwrite.lo
file_io/unix/seek.lo file_io/unix/tempdir.lo locks/unix/global_mutex.lo
locks/unix/proc_mutex.lo locks/unix/thread_cond.lo
locks/unix/thread_mutex.lo locks/unix/thread_rwlock.lo
memory/unix/apr_pools.lo misc/unix/charset.lo misc/unix/env.lo
misc/unix/errorcodes.lo misc/unix/getopt.lo misc/unix/otherchild.lo
misc/unix/rand.lo misc/unix/start.lo misc/unix/version.lo
mmap/unix/common.lo mmap/unix/mmap.lo network_io/unix/inet_ntop.lo
network_io/unix/inet_pton.lo network_io/unix/multicast.lo
network_io/unix/sendrecv.lo network_io/unix/sockaddr.lo
network_io/unix/socket_util.lo network_io/unix/sockets.lo
network_io/unix/sockopt.lo poll/unix/epoll.lo poll/unix/kqueue.lo
poll/unix/poll.lo poll/unix/pollcb.lo poll/unix/pollset.lo
poll/unix/port.lo poll/unix/select.lo random/unix/apr_random.lo
random/unix/sha2.lo random/unix/sha2_glue.lo shmem/unix/shm.lo
support/unix/waitio.lo threadproc/unix/proc.lo
threadproc/unix/procsup.lo threadproc/unix/signals.lo
threadproc/unix/thread.lo threadproc/unix/threadpriv.lo
time/unix/time.lo time/unix/timestr.lo user/unix/groupinfo.lo
user/unix/userinfo.lo   -lrt -lcrypt  -lpthread -ldl
libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
make[3]: *** [libapr-1.la] Error 1

Manuel Lemos

Re: [users@httpd] Problem when building Apache 2.2.22 with --with-included-apr - libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed

Posted by Simone Caruso <in...@simonecaruso.com>.
On 09/02/2012 02:33, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build Apache 2.2.22 from source.
>
> Since it was giving some missing symbols in APR, I tried to build it with
> --with-included-apr .
>
> It compiles OK, but when it tries to link apr it gives me an libtool error. Full
> output below.
>
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
>
> Anybody has a clue what is the matter and how can I avoid this?

Try passing an absolute path to --with-included-apr.

--
Simone Caruso
IT Consultant

Posted by Manuel Lemos <ml...@acm.org>.
Hello Pete,

on 02/09/2012 07:01 AM Pete Houston said the following:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:33:01PM -0200, Manuel Lemos wrote:
>> It compiles OK, but when it tries to link apr it gives me an libtool
>> error. Full output below.
>>
>> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
>>
>> Anybody has a clue what is the matter and how can I avoid this?
>> 4:5:4    -o libapr-1.la -rpath refix/lib passwd/apr_getpass.lo
>
> You see the argument to -rpath is "refix/lib"? That looks like it was
> supposed to be $prefix/lib which would then be expanded into an absolute
> path. If you can find out where the $p has gone, I guess you'll have the
> answer.

Yes, I just figured the problem. I was using an old config.layout file
since the 1.x days. It used variables defined as $prefix.

I tried removing the config.layout file and see what the configure
script generated. It turns out that it used ${prefix} instead. So I
fixed my config.layout file to use curly braces and it worked.

I also added missing entries in my layout file that configure was adding
or else the scripts would fail, although I did not need things like
iconsdir, cgidir and manualdir.

So, mental note for those like me that keep old config.layout files, if
the scripts fail, you may want to see what is different in your layout
files.

Thanks for the tip.

Manuel Lemos

JS Classes - Free ready to use OOP components written in JavaScript
http://www.jsclasses.org/

Posted by Pete Houston <ph...@openstrike.co.uk>.
On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 11:33:01PM -0200, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> It compiles OK, but when it tries to link apr it gives me an libtool
> error. Full output below.
>
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
>
> Anybody has a clue what is the matter and how can I avoid this?
> 4:5:4    -o libapr-1.la -rpath refix/lib passwd/apr_getpass.lo

You see the argument to -rpath is "refix/lib"? That looks like it was
supposed to be $prefix/lib which would then be expanded into an absolute
path. If you can find out where the $p has gone, I guess you'll have the
answer.

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 09.02.2012 02:33, Manuel Lemos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to build Apache 2.2.22 from source.
>
> Since it was giving some missing symbols in APR, I tried to build it
> with --with-included-apr .
>
> It compiles OK, but when it tries to link apr it gives me an libtool
> error. Full output below.
>
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
>
> Anybody has a clue what is the matter and how can I avoid this?

I guess we could provide a clue, once we get your exact configure
command with all params. If you don't have them any longer you can post
the contents of config.nice.

It seems you got the "--prefix" wrong (but that's just a guess).

Regards,

Rainer