Posted to dev@orc.apache.org by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com> on 2020/11/08 23:54:10 UTC

[REPORT] ORC Board report for November 2020

The mission of ORC is the creation and maintenance of software related to
the
smallest, fastest columnar storage for Hadoop workloads

## Issues:
There are no issues that require the board's attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache ORC was founded 2015-04-21 (6 years ago)
There are currently 41 committers and 12 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is roughly 3:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Jesús Camacho Rodríguez on
2019-12-26.
- No new committers. Last addition was Renat Valiullin on 2019-06-19.

Apache ORC PMC recently starts to discuss new committer candidates.
In 2020, Panagiotis Garefalakis is the most active contributor.
We are planning to open a vote for him during November, 2020.

## Project Activity:
Recent releases:
- 1.6.5 was released on 2020-10-01.
- 1.5.12 was released on 2020-09-30.
- 1.5.11 was released on 2020-09-14.
- 1.6.4 was released on 2020-09-14.

New releases are used like the following:
- ICEBERG-1546 Upgrade to 1.6.5
  (https://github.com/apache/iceberg/pull/1546)
- SPARK-33050 Upgrade Apache ORC to 1.5.12
- HIVE-24222 Upgrade ORC to 1.5.12

We have been improving backward compatibility in 1.7/1.6/1.5 to provide
easier migration paths, and we should start discussion of
making an ORC 1.7 release soon.

## Community Health:

Thanks to new releases, all activities in Apache ORC community had
increases.
Although Apache ORC PMC expect some decrease due to the seasonal reasons
in the next quarter, Apache ORC PMC will focus on the growth of the
community
in order to keep the vitality and sustainability of the community.

- dev@orc.apache.org had a 152% increase (371 emails compared to 147)
- issues@orc.apache.org had a 77% increase (163 emails compared to 92)
- 28 issues opened in JIRA, past quarter (16% increase)
- 34 issues closed in JIRA, past quarter (100% increase)
- 89 commits in the past quarter (140% increase)
- 14 code contributors in the past quarter (16% increase)
- 35 PRs opened on GitHub, past quarter (40% increase)
- 40 PRs closed on GitHub, past quarter (66% increase)