Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Dimitris Mouchritsas <dm...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/30 11:05:20 UTC

Vim's .swp files triggering jar to re-execute

Hi all, I did a small project yesterday, producing a jar and a war file.
I thought I planned out my build file carefully (it was a small one after
all)
but I noticed that the jar task executed even though I hadn't changed
anything
in the source files. When I closes a file a had opened with Vim the jar task
stop executing as was normal. Could the .swp file cause this? Even though
it doesn't end up in the jar file? Thanks.

--
Dimitris Mouchritsas
Computer Services

Re: Vim's .swp files triggering jar to re-execute

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
Oh I get it now! You're running ant from inside VIM. Therefore, the swap
files exist.
You can add them to your default excludes. I had to do that because in our
CVS, someone put a bunch of empty .keepme files. I guess the idea is to keep
the directory if there was no files in it.

Simple enough to do. Put this in the beginning of your build.xml:

<defaultexcludes add="*.swp"/>

On Dec 4, 2007 8:00 AM, Dimitris Mouchritsas <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, but I run ant from within vim, much like an ide. So they're still
> there
> when I create the jar. I just thought that they were on the default
> excludes.
>
> On Dec 2, 2007 2:50 AM, David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The JAR task doesn't look at the source files, but at the contents that
> is
> > suppose to go into the JAR. Unjar the contents of the JAR and take a
> look
> > at
> > what is included in the JAR. If the .swp files are included in the JAR,
> > that's your problem.
> > Do you include and exclude specific files in your JAR?
> >
> > The .swp files are suppose to be temporary files and should be deleted
> > when
> > you quit VIM. Are your .swp files sticking around?
> >
> > On Nov 30, 2007 5:05 AM, Dimitris Mouchritsas <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all, I did a small project yesterday, producing a jar and a war
> file.
> > > I thought I planned out my build file carefully (it was a small one
> > after
> > > all)
> > > but I noticed that the jar task executed even though I hadn't changed
> > > anything
> > > in the source files. When I closes a file a had opened with Vim the
> jar
> > > task
> > > stop executing as was normal. Could the .swp file cause this? Even
> > though
> > > it doesn't end up in the jar file? Thanks.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Dimitris Mouchritsas
> > > Computer Services
> > >

> > --
> > --
> > David Weintraub
> > qazwart@gmail.com
> >

> --
> Dimitris Mouchritsas
> Computer Services

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: Vim's .swp files triggering jar to re-execute

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Dimitris Mouchritsas wrote:
> No, but I run ant from within vim, much like an ide. So they're still there
> when I create the jar. I just thought that they were on the default
> excludes.

not on the defaults; you can always add them.

Re: Vim's .swp files triggering jar to re-execute

Posted by Dimitris Mouchritsas <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.
The JAR task doesn't look at the source files, but at the contents that is
suppose to go into the JAR. Unjar the contents of the JAR and take a look at
what is included in the JAR. If the .swp files are included in the JAR,
that's your problem.
Do you include and exclude specific files in your JAR?

The .swp files are suppose to be temporary files and should be deleted when
you quit VIM. Are your .swp files sticking around?

On Nov 30, 2007 5:05 AM, Dimitris Mouchritsas <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I did a small project yesterday, producing a jar and a war file.
> I thought I planned out my build file carefully (it was a small one after
> all)
> but I noticed that the jar task executed even though I hadn't changed
> anything
> in the source files. When I closes a file a had opened with Vim the jar
> task
> stop executing as was normal. Could the .swp file cause this? Even though
> it doesn't end up in the jar file? Thanks.
>
> --
> Dimitris Mouchritsas
> Computer Services

David Weintraub