Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sam Cheung <sy...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/04 22:40:33 UTC

HTTP Keep Alive in Tomcat

Hi,

Does Tomcat use HTTP keey alive by default? In other
words, Tomcat does not close the socket connection
with the client AFTER the servlet finishes the doGet()
or doPut() call?

If yes, is this a Tomcat specified implementation? Or
it is defined in the Servlet spec? Also, is it
possible to config the HTTP keey alive timer value
within Tomcat?

Thanks for any help.
Sam

Re: HTTP Keep Alive in Tomcat

Posted by Bill Barker <re...@verizon.net>.
"Sam Cheung" <sy...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does Tomcat use HTTP keey alive by default? In other
> words, Tomcat does not close the socket connection
> with the client AFTER the servlet finishes the doGet()
> or doPut() call?

Tomcat 3.3.1 does not (unless you plug in the CoyoteConnector).  All 4.x
versions do.

> If yes, is this a Tomcat specified implementation? Or
> it is defined in the Servlet spec? Also, is it
> possible to config the HTTP keey alive timer value
> within Tomcat?

It is possible to config.  I believe that the attribute is
"connectionTimeout" for 4.0.x, and "soTimeout" for 4.1.x.  4.1.x also has a
"maxKeepAliveRequests" attribute that can be used to effectively disable
keep-alive (by setting it to 1).