Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Manoj Khangaonkar <kh...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/17 23:54:15 UTC

LDAP scalability

Hi ,

I am evaluating LDAP in general (Apache DS as possible LDAP) for use
as a user repository to be used for authentication /authorization for
a large scale web application.

The choice is RDBMS vs LDAP vs NoSQL.

I am well aware that LDAP is used by large enterprises. These
enterprises have typically thousands of users.
But have not seen it referenced in large scale web application
architectures - such as those at google , facebook, linkedin which
deal
with millions of users. ( They might be using ldap but I have not seen
anything on the web that says they do)

Can LDAP in general and Apache DS in particular scale to millions of
users ? Are there any blogs/articles on web that talk of LDAP use in
architectures of  very large scale.

thanks

--
http://khangaonkar.blogspot.com/

Re: LDAP scalability

Posted by Manoj Khangaonkar <kh...@gmail.com>.
Emmanuel & Bren,

Thanks for the responses. They were helpful.

Manoj

--
http://khangaonkar.blogspot.com/

Re: LDAP scalability

Posted by Bren Norris <br...@measanctum.com>.
Thank you very much sir! :)

Re: LDAP scalability

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: LDAP scalability

Posted by Bren Norris <br...@measanctum.com>.
Oh and on a side note, never have I seen facebook directly disclose its
infrastructure. Yes there are rumours it uses a mySQL database however I say

Re: LDAP scalability

Posted by Bren Norris <br...@measanctum.com>.
Here's one for you guys.

Re: LDAP scalability

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 5/17/11 11:54 PM, Manoj Khangaonkar wrote:
> Hi ,
Hi,
> I am evaluating LDAP in general (Apache DS as possible LDAP) for use
> as a user repository to be used for authentication /authorization for
> a large scale web application.
>
> The choice is RDBMS vs LDAP vs NoSQL.
It's not really a choice. LDAP is the only pristine solution when it
comes to manage authentication and authorization. Using a RDBMS or a
NoSQL system implies you build a authn/authz solution on top of it (I'm
not talking about LDAP over a RDBMS)
> I am well aware that LDAP is used by large enterprises. These
> enterprises have typically thousands of users.
Hundred of thousands, and I have seen big telco companies using LDAP for
more than 70 000 000 users...

> But have not seen it referenced in large scale web application
> architectures - such as those at google , facebook, linkedin which
> deal
> with millions of users. ( They might be using ldap but I have not seen
> anything on the web that says they do)

Probably because they don't necessarily want to expose such a sensitive
part of their IT, but most certainly because they need a highly
replicated system.
> Can LDAP in general and Apache DS in particular scale to millions of
> users ?
Base line, yes. Dealing with millions of users is not really an issue.
What is important here is not the number of users, but much more the
operation per second you want to process on the LDAP server. On a
laptop, OpenLDAP currently deal with up to 10 000 authentication *per
second*, and with ApacheDS, last time I conducted a test (last year), it
was around 4 500 authentication per second.

> Are there any blogs/articles on web that talk of LDAP use in
> architectures of  very large scale.
Not that I know of. But the next LDAP conference (in Germany,
http://www.daasi.de/ldapcon2011/) might see some talks about such a thing.

Hope it helps.
> thanks

Cordialement,