Posted to lokahi-dev@incubator.apache.org by Ludovic Maitre <lu...@free.fr> on 2006/09/27 07:05:31 UTC

MySQL sql conversion ok and working - now digging into pre-existing bugs :-)

Hi all,

I've finished (i guess) porting the db parts of lokahi to MySql (it can
remain bugs but so far i doesn't see bugs at this level in the logs). I
will make a patch soon.

However i encounter several bugs in the java code and i'm wondering if
the code in svn is up to date. For instance i had to modify the
org.apache.lokahi.core.api.environment.EnvironmentModel.updateEnvironment
method (line 69) because it was always failing, i had to substitute :
if (u.isAllowed(f) && "DeleteEnvironment".equals(f.getCommand())) {
by
if (u.isAllowed(f) && "UpdateEnvironment".equals(f.getCommand())) {
How is it possible that other instances of Lokahi doesn't exhibit this
bug if the source code in svn is the latest? is it a regression and
things was better before ? are you using it to manage systems in
production  ?

It's a little bit annoying for the MySql conversion because each time
something fail i'm not sure if this due to bugs in the things i have
modified or if this is because of errors which are already in the code.
But i understand that this is a M1 release :-)

--
Cordialement,
Ludo - http://www.ubik-products.com

Re: MySQL sql conversion ok and working - now digging into pre-existing bugs :-)

Posted by Ludovic Maitre <lu...@free.fr>.
Hi Bill,

I fully agree, and will do it (a patch, or more exactly several
patches). I was asking this not in the intent for the devs to correct
their code (and this is not sufficient, there is also 2 velocity
templates to modify to have Environement's screens near fully working)
but because i was surprised to see an obvious bug like this...

William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Ludovic Maitre wrote:
>
>> However i encounter several bugs in the java code and i'm wondering if
>> the code in svn is up to date. For instance i had to modify the
>> org.apache.lokahi.core.api.environment.EnvironmentModel.updateEnvironment
>> method (line 69) because it was always failing, i had to substitute :
>> if (u.isAllowed(f) && "DeleteEnvironment".equals(f.getCommand())) {
>> by
>> if (u.isAllowed(f) && "UpdateEnvironment".equals(f.getCommand())) {
>>

> A general rule of thumb about submitting patches to correct bugs, (and yes
> we very much appreciate bug fix submissions!) is to keep each post/patch
> as small as possible to fix the exact bug.  Your comment above is an
> example, most projects believe svn diff -U is the most-legible way to
> report the change required.
>
> So - if you see a bug don't hesitate to post it and the patch so it can
> be applied quickly. and fixed in svn trunk.
> In your specific case though, it can be doubly difficult because you are
> working on major refactoring as you trip over small bugs.  I encourage
> you to keep two checkouts of lokahi, one that you record and submit small
> bugfixes on, the other for the big work you are doing.  It can become
> quite confusing when you've fixed small bugs in a large submission and
> don't really have a record of those apart from the major work.

Thanks for your advices, i will follow them. Meanwhile if an Apache
member could add the project to JIRA it would be great and really much
appreciated. This could greatly help to send and describe patchs!

Best regards,

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Ludovic Maitre wrote:

> However i encounter several bugs in the java code and i'm wondering if
> the code in svn is up to date. For instance i had to modify the
> org.apache.lokahi.core.api.environment.EnvironmentModel.updateEnvironment
> method (line 69) because it was always failing, i had to substitute :
> if (u.isAllowed(f) && "DeleteEnvironment".equals(f.getCommand())) {
> by
> if (u.isAllowed(f) && "UpdateEnvironment".equals(f.getCommand())) {

A general rule of thumb about submitting patches to correct bugs, (and yes
we very much appreciate bug fix submissions!) is to keep each post/patch
as small as possible to fix the exact bug.  Your comment above is an
example, most projects believe svn diff -U is the most-legible way to
report the change required.

So - if you see a bug don't hesitate to post it and the patch so it can
be applied quickly. and fixed in svn trunk.

In your specific case though, it can be doubly difficult because you are
working on major refactoring as you trip over small bugs.  I encourage
you to keep two checkouts of lokahi, one that you record and submit small
bugfixes on, the other for the big work you are doing.  It can become
quite confusing when you've fixed small bugs in a large submission and
don't really have a record of those apart from the major work.

Bill