Posted to log4net-dev@logging.apache.org by Kirill Temnenkov <ki...@gmail.com> on 2010/04/29 12:45:48 UTC

abandoned?

Hi!
I think that the project be abandoned. Am I right?
Can I participate in the development as a developer?

WBR,
Kirill Temnenkov

Re: abandoned?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Disclaimer: even though I own and use an @apache.org address I'm not a
log4net developer, only a user and interested observer - and a
contributor to a couple of other ASF projects.  I don't speak for
log4net.

On 2010-04-29, Kirill Temnenkov <ki...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that the project be abandoned. Am I right?

I hope you are not - if you look at the JIRA issues those get addressed,
likewise questions on this and the user list do get answered.
Unfortunately there hasn't been any coding action in four months.

What the problem needs most IMHO is a new release (and I'd be glad to
help out if I can).

> Can I participate in the development as a developer?

Make yourself familiar with <http://logging.apache.org/guidelines.html>.

Anybody can participate by asking or answering questions, finding or
fixing bugs, suggesting or implementing new features.  The preferred
channels are the mailing lists and JIRA.

In Apache projects, if you stick around long enough and provide enough
patches the committers usually get tired of applying your patches and
you become a committer yourself.

Cheers

        Stefan

RE: abandoned?

Posted by Roy Chastain <Ro...@roychastain.org>.
I would love to see a new release with the current code and all
fixes/enhancements built-in.  There are a couple of changes in the
change database that I would like to have, but I have never been able to
use the tools to apply them to the current codebase.

After that is completed, a new 2.x release targeting the 2.x runtime or
higher would be a great thing to have.

Roy Chastain

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.

Re: abandoned?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

AW: abandoned?

Posted by Dominik Psenner <dp...@gmail.com>.
Good news that maybe something is moving on. My last note regarding .net 4.0
support was never answered and just resides somewhere in the history of
February (see:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/logging-log4net-dev/201002.mbox/%3C
BC2ABB510F3F405F9BE041B89BE06916@alpin.local%3E ).

I agree with a minor release (1.3 or so) that marks the currently stable
codebase.

But as long there are no breaking API changes needed to get log4net running
with .net4.0 I would not target it as a major release, but more or less a
1.4.x.

Greetings,
d.

> I agree with getting out a small point release before a large refactor.

+1

You may even consider to change the major version with the refactoring,
i.e. release a 1.1 compatible log4net 1.2.x soon and call the .NET 2.0+
version log4net 2.x

Stefan

Re: abandoned?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: abandoned?

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
I agree with getting out a small point release before a large refactor.

Posted by steven higgan <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: abandoned?

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.