Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "Rumph, Frens Jan" <ma...@frensjan.nl> on 2015/03/04 12:54:36 UTC

Inconsistent count(*) and distinct results from Cassandra

Hi,

Is it to be expected that select count(*) from ... and select distinct
partition-key-columns from ... to yield inconsistent results between
executions even though the table at hand isn't written to?

I have a table in a keyspace with replication_factor = 1 which is something
like:

CREATE TABLE tbl (
    id frozen<id_type>,
    bucket bigint,
    offset int,
    value double,
    PRIMARY KEY ((id, bucket), offset)
)

The frozen udt is:

CREATE TYPE id_type (
    tags map<text, text>
);

When I do select count(*) from tbl several times the actual count varies
with 5 to 10%. Also when performing select distinct id, bucket from tbl the
results aren't consistent over several query executions. The table is not
being written to at the time I performed the queries.

Is this to be expected? Or is this a bug? Is there a alternative method /
workaround?

I'm using cqlsh 5.0.1 with Cassandra 2.1.2 on 64bit fedora 21 with Oracle
Java 1.8.0_31.

Thanks in advance,
Frens Jan

Re: Inconsistent count(*) and distinct results from Cassandra

Posted by "Rumph, Frens Jan" <ma...@frensjan.nl>.
Thanks for the suggestion DuyHai. I assume you mean CL=QUORUM (as in
consistency level, not replication factor). As expected, setting the
consistency level to quorum or all yields equally inconsistent results for
the select count and select distinct queries.

Which is good in a way, because if RF=1 and CL=ONE I would expect an error
if one of the nodes wouldn't be able to answer a query.

Note that there conceptually is no such thing as a quorum or majority when
RF=1. As quorum in C* is defined as floor( (RF / 2) + 1 ), in case of RF=1
this in practice is the same as CL=ONE.

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Rumph, Frens Jan" <ma...@frensjan.nl>.
Hi Jens, Mikhail, Daemeon,

Posted by daemeon reiydelle <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Rantil <je...@tink.se>.
Frens,

Posted by Mikhail Strebkov <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.
"Is it to be expected that select count(*) from ... and select distinct
partition-key-columns from ... to yield inconsistent results between
executions even though the table at hand isn't written to?"

Actually, depending on the definition of your primary key, select count(*)
and select distinct partition-key-column may not yield the same result and
it is perfectly normal.

The "select distinct partition-key-column" effectively return distinct
tuples of partition key columns WHEREAS select count(*) return distinct
tuples of primary-key-columns (e.g. partition keys + clustering columns)

In your example table, PRIMARY KEY ((id, bucket), offset) so

SELECT DISTINCT id,bucket FROM tbl will return all distinct couples of
(id,bucket)

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM tbl will count all distinct triplets of
(id,bucket,offset)

The trick is that SELECT COUNT(*) return the total number of CQL rows, not
the count of partitions ....