Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Raphaël di Cicco <ra...@atosorigin.com> on 2004/01/09 11:10:35 UTC

[OT] Eclipse/Tomcat WebappLoader

Hi,

I know this is a little off topic but this has to do with J2EE deployment so it might be useful for some people.
In my environment, I use Eclipse with Struts 1.1, Tomcat 4.1 and Sun JDK 1.4. Eclipse makes it possible to recompile and redeploy my classes every time I change them. This is very convenient.
I understand that the WebAppLoader reloads the whole application if there is a change in one of the files.

However, I have a static class that loads an enormous amount of data into memory. Therefore after 2 or 3 changes in my code I run into a OutOfMemory exception that is very annoying (the exception usually occurs somewhere in Win32FileSystem.class).

I would like to prevent the webappLoader from reloading this particular class, and I know that it is is possible to prevent a jar file from beeing reloaded, but I don't know about a class.

Thanks in advance
Raphaël

Re: [OT] Eclipse/Tomcat WebappLoader

Posted by Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>.
I just checked a little bit ago and noticed that myself ... I'll have to
put a Tomcat 4 -> Tomcat 5, JSTL 1.0 -> JSTL 1.1 project on my todo list :)

Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands, Inc.

RE: [OT] Eclipse/Tomcat WebappLoader

Posted by List Mailbox <ca...@holview.com>.

Mark Lowe wrote:

> I haven't used it yet put I believe that tomcat 5 has improved garbage
> collection. Not sure what this means as I'd have thought the JVM would
> deal with it but I guess it means this will be less likely to happen.
>
> I've found that after so many reloads that tomcat 4.1 runs out of
> memory, whether using catalina-ant tasks or the html manager (i guess
> the same thing really).
>

> On 9 Jan 2004, at 18:00, Brice Ruth wrote:
>
>> This won't help me, as the memory leak appears to be in the fact that
>> when a context is removed from Tomcat, all memory allocated for that
>> context is not released.
>>
>> Guillermo Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Try marking yout context with reloadable="false" in server.xml or if
>>> using the eclipse plugin, uncheck the reloadable chechbox (project ->
>>> Properties -> Tomcat -> General -> "marck this context as reloadable")
>>> In this way, when you change a class implementation, only this class is
>>> changed and Tomcat won't reload all the webapp.

Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands, Inc.

Re: [OT] Eclipse/Tomcat WebappLoader

Posted by Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>.

Mark Lowe wrote:

> I haven't used it yet put I believe that tomcat 5 has improved garbage
> collection. Not sure what this means as I'd have thought the JVM would
> deal with it but I guess it means this will be less likely to happen.
>
> I've found that after so many reloads that tomcat 4.1 runs out of
> memory, whether using catalina-ant tasks or the html manager (i guess
> the same thing really).
>

> On 9 Jan 2004, at 18:00, Brice Ruth wrote:
>
>> This won't help me, as the memory leak appears to be in the fact that
>> when a context is removed from Tomcat, all memory allocated for that
>> context is not released.
>>
>> Guillermo Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Try marking yout context with reloadable="false" in server.xml or if
>>> using the eclipse plugin, uncheck the reloadable chechbox (project ->
>>> Properties -> Tomcat -> General -> "marck this context as reloadable")
>>> In this way, when you change a class implementation, only this class is
>>> changed and Tomcat won't reload all the webapp.

Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands, Inc.

Re: [OT] Eclipse/Tomcat WebappLoader