Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Rinku <ra...@gmail.com> on 2006/02/03 03:33:04 UTC

Felix IRC Channel

Hey Everyone!

Does anyone know if Felix has an IRC Channel where devs/lurkers can lurk
around and pop occassional questions?

Cheers,
Rahul

Re: Felix IRC Channel

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>
>> Rinku wrote:

We've been using #osgi at irc.codehaus.org for some time now.  I guess
we should put this up on the main site.

Alex

Re: Felix IRC Channel

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Marcel Offermans wrote:
>
>> Rinku wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know if Felix has an IRC Channel where devs/lurkers can
>>> lurk around and pop occassional questions?
>>
>> Well, there isn't as far as I know. I'm not even sure if there is a
>> "preferred IRC network" for Apache projects. But I don't mind joining
>> such a channel (say #felix at freenode).
>
> The projects that have a channel usually use irc.freenode.net,
> although there's no official recommendation for this. Also, it is
> important to keep the main discussions on the mailing-list so that it
> is archived and people from all around the world can participate,
> whatever their timezone.

Agreed, every medium should be used appropriately and at least
duplicating important issues to the mailing list seems reasonable (I
don't think confluence or any other wiki has the ability to log IRC
channels yet).

> So IRC is useful for babbling and short questions, or occasional high
> bandwidth discussions, but any important outcome of these discussions
> must be reported to the list.

Ok. Let's see how this goes.

Greetings, Marcel

Re: Felix IRC Channel

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Rinku wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if Felix has an IRC Channel where devs/lurkers can
>> lurk around and pop occassional questions?
>
> Well, there isn't as far as I know. I'm not even sure if there is a
> "preferred IRC network" for Apache projects. But I don't mind joining
> such a channel (say #felix at freenode).

The projects that have a channel usually use irc.freenode.net, although
there's no official recommendation for this. Also, it is important to
keep the main discussions on the mailing-list so that it is archived and
people from all around the world can participate, whatever their timezone.

So IRC is useful for babbling and short questions, or occasional high
bandwidth discussions, but any important outcome of these discussions
must be reported to the list.

Sylvain

Re: Felix IRC Channel

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.