Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2018/06/03 08:39:50 UTC

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Moving the discussion to public list.

Here is the current status:
* I forwared the CCLA to the secretary
* All committers listed in the CCLA have an ICLA recorded and are
already voted in as committers (Alex Haskell, Chris Harm, Chris Pike,
Shawn Smith, Steve Moyer)
* The initial IP clearance form is created [1]

Next steps:
* Identify the codebase: What I see [2] is the latest commit, correct?
* Decide on a name: which name should we use? SCIMple, eSCIMo, something
else? We just make to be sure the name is not trademarked yet.
* Check source and dependencies for Apache License compatibility (I do,
but more eyes are welcomed :-)
* Wait for secretary confirmation that CCLA is recorded
* Finish the IP clearance form

When this is done:
* Request a new git repo (gitbox with github mirror) and Jira project
* Push the code
* Add Apache license headers to all the files
* Rename Maven artifact and Java package names
* More to come...

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/directory-scimple.xml
[2]
https://github.com/PennState/SCIMple-Identity/commit/0bebc8fb8dcf838daeeacfd73362c6ee16711ffb

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Fine. We will just move eSCIMo to the attic and change the website to
expose SCIMple.

Le lun. 18 juin 2018 à 16:19, Smith, Shawn E <se...@psu.edu> a écrit :

> If there's no objections, I'd like to see SCIMple stand.  There are a few
> orgs that are already using it.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Shawn
> ------------------------------

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 01/07/2018 à 23:39, Smith, Shawn E a écrit :
> There are a couple, but I'm heading out the door right now.  Admins for now, me, Steve Moyer, Chris Harm and Chris Pike.  I  can get their Apache usernames tomorrow if you need.   Mine is ussmith ( until I move back abroad..)

I guess you frst have to subscribe to the created JIRA space
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/SCIMPLE/issues/?filter=allopenissues)

Same for all the others.

Thanks !
--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Ok, guys, the staging site has been updated :

http://directory.staging.apache.org/

And more specifically http://directory.staging.apache.org/scimple

There are missing links, like the '5 minutes tutorial', users guide and
gen docs. I can update the last one if I can build the code. I will try
that one of the following evenings.

In teh mean time, please feel free to comment and/or send patches for
the missing pages, or the actual content. FTR, there is some
explanaition on how the CMS we use works on
directory.staging.apache.org/sources.html, see teh WEBSITE section.

Thanks !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn E" <se...@psu.edu>.

________________________________
Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn E" <se...@psu.edu>.
Seems reasonable to me

________________________________
We need to create a JIRA space for the SCIMPLE project.

I suggest we keep it simple: we name it SCIMPLE.

Ok ?

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Thanks Shawn and Steve.

I updated the form [1] and will now ask the Incubator PMC for IP clearance.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/directory-scimple.html

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn Eion" <se...@psu.edu>.
pom's and .g4's now have the license in the header.

Thanks,

Shawn

________________________________

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn Eion" <se...@psu.edu>.

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn Eion" <se...@psu.edu>.

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Hi Shawn,

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 06/18/2018 04:17 PM, Smith, Shawn E wrote:
> If there's no objections, I'd like to see SCIMple stand.  There are a few orgs that are already using it.

Should be ok.

I found 2 other software projects with that name:

1. an R library
https://github.com/hrbrmstr/scimple
Initial commit 2017-03-03

2. a Python library
https://github.com/EnzoBnl/Scimple
Initial commit 2018-02-22

As SCIMple inital commit is from 2016-03-23 I think we are fine.

So here is the new git repo:
https://gitbox.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-scimple.git

Do you want to push the code yourself?

The GitBox repo is linked to a GitHub repo:
https://github.com/apache/directory-scimple. Once you setup 2FA at
https://gitbox.apache.org/setup/ you can also push directly to the
GitHub repo and merge PRs.

I also updated the IP clearence form.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn E" <se...@psu.edu>.
I think I have the dependencies cleaned up.  I did discover that JSR-305 is GPL, so those annotations are off the table which is unfortunate.

I also took all of the example projects out and put them in another project.  That's where the hibernate dependencies were coming from.

There is one pull request being review, but the develop branch at https://github.com/PennState/SCIMple-Identity is the most current code.

Please advise on any additional steps we should take.

Cheers,

Shawn

[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/6545549?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/PennState/SCIMple-Identity>

GitHub - PennState/SCIMple-Identity: Penn State's Open ...<https://github.com/PennState/SCIMple-Identity>
github.com
GitHub is where people build software. More than 28 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 85 million projects.

________________________________
Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
Hi Shawn,

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by "Smith, Shawn E" <se...@psu.edu>.

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 09/06/2018 à 16:01, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> On 06/03/2018 10:39 AM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>> Next steps:
>> * Identify the codebase: What I see [2] is the latest commit, correct?
>> * Decide on a name: which name should we use? SCIMple, eSCIMo, something
>> else? We just make to be sure the name is not trademarked yet.
>
> Any thoughts on this?
>
>> * Check source and dependencies for Apache License compatibility (I do,
>> but more eyes are welcomed :-)
>
> I found the following problematic dependencies which are LGPL licensed
> and must not be included in an Apache release artifact.
>
> com.google.code.findbugs:annotations:2.0.1
> * LGPL
> * scim-server-rdbms, scim-spec-protocol, scim-server-couchdb, etc.
> * Transitive dependency of swagger-jaxrs
> * Fix: try to exclude?

clearly.

> org.hibernate:hibernate-jpamodelgen:5.2.0.Final
> * LGPL
> * scim-server-rdbms
> * Fix: Change scope to provided as it is only used at build time

> org.hibernate:hibernate-core:5.0.9.Final
> org.hibernate:hibernate-entitymanager:5.0.9.Final
> * LGPL
> * scim-errai
> * Fix: switch to another JPA implementation (Apache OpenJPA), but I
> don't know deep Hibernate is wired into Errai.
> * Note: this is only an issue if it's planned to publish a WAR file that
> includes Hibernate. The current scim-errai seems to only be a showcase app.

This is clearly something that need to be replaced.

FTR, LGPL/GPL is not compatible with AL 2.0 in a sense that we can't
release code that contains LGPL/GPL packages without being tainted...

Thanks Stefan for the thorough analasys.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Re: PSU SCIMple donation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 03/06/2018 à 10:39, Stefan Seelmann a écrit :
> Moving the discussion to public list.
>
> Here is the current status:
> * I forwared the CCLA to the secretary
> * All committers listed in the CCLA have an ICLA recorded and are
> already voted in as committers (Alex Haskell, Chris Harm, Chris Pike,
> Shawn Smith, Steve Moyer)
> * The initial IP clearance form is created [1]

Thanks for that, Stefan !

> Next steps:
> * Identify the codebase: What I see [2] is the latest commit, correct?
> * Decide on a name: which name should we use? SCIMple, eSCIMo, something
> else? We just make to be sure the name is not trademarked yet.
> * Check source and dependencies for Apache License compatibility (I do,
> but more eyes are welcomed :-)

So far, most of the dependencies are AL 2.0, CDDL, EPL or MIT.

javax.el is CDDL/GNU : to be checked

(I'm using https://mvnrepository.com/, which provides recursive
dependencies listing, with the License. It makes it quite easy to use).

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org