Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr> on 2015/03/06 01:10:31 UTC

State of current work and next OGC meeting

Hello all

My work will still be a little bit slow for an other week because of the
upcoming OGC meeting [1], but there is nevertheless some progress.
Recent work was about the handling of map projection parameters and the
fact that different words are used for similar things. For example all
the following names can be considered the same thing from an
implementation point of view (even if they are conceptually slightly
different):

  * Longitude of origin
  * Longitude of false origin
  * Longitude of natural origin
  * Spherical longitude of origin
  * Longitude of projection centre
  * Central meridian

So Apache SIS needs to know about aliases and who defined them (EPSG,
OGC, ESRI, GeoTIFF, NetCDF all have their own naming). In some cases the
relationship is not 1 to 1, so there is a few map projection parameters
that we need to handle in a special way [2].

About the OGC meeting next week, a few session of special interests are
(in chronological order):

  * Standards Openness ad hoc - a free-form discussion on how the
    Standards process in OGC might be more agile and open.
  * Moving Feature - we need to see if it can be related to
    org.apache.sis.feature package.
  * Metadata - applies to org.apache.sis.metadata
  * Coordinate Reference System - applies to org.apache.sis.referencing
  * Temporal - this is something we need to brings to Apache SIS soon.
  * Geospatial API ad hoc - to see if OGC should move to a position
    statement regarding geospatial API
  * GeoAPI

    Martin

[1] http://www.opengeospatial.org/event/1503tcagenda