Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2015/05/22 08:51:49 UTC

Platform specific CTR/RTC?

I think this has sat enough in STATUS that I'll commit by lazy consensus
prior to tag and roll of 2.2.30, unless anyone has a legitimate
correction/objection?

It might be worth mentioning that it's been in production for about 3-4
years or so, and only was delayed in 2.2 due to the unavoidable drift
between trunk/2.4 and 2.2 flavors.  We already included the
ported-afterwards functionality in the previous 2.4.12 release, with
apparently no issues.  The patch below is actually the origin of the
enhancement.

   * mpm_winnt service.c: Accept utf-8 service names/descriptions for i18n.
     trunk patches: http://svn.apache.org/r1611165
                    http://svn.apache.org/r1611169
     2.2.x patch:
http://people.apache.org/~wrowe/httpd-2.2-utf8-servicename.patch
     +1: wrowe, gsmith

Re: Platform specific CTR/RTC?

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 2:51 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> I think this has sat enough in STATUS that I'll commit by lazy consensus
> prior to tag and roll of 2.2.30, unless anyone has a legitimate
> correction/objection?

IMO it is appropriate to use CTR in the stable branches with
platform-specific code/build (where platform = Windows, NetWare, and other
non-Unix), and it is also nice/appropriate/whatever to give a heads up like
you did.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/

Re: Platform specific CTR/RTC?

Posted by Mario Brandt <jb...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Gregg Smith <gl...@gknw.net>.
On 5/22/2015 8:10 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Jeff Trawick<tr...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM, Jim Jagielski<ji...@jagunet.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I think Bill's main point is that other than himself and
>>> gsmith, nobody else tests on MS/Win.
>>
>> There might be others who test when something seems appropriate to them
>> and they have time ;)
>>

>>> I tried, but I never got
>>> even to the point of getting it to even compile/build much
>>> less to a point where I could *test* :)
>>>
> I'm hoping for several things in the coming months, just began installing
> and reviewing the community preview of Visual Studio 2015.  Again, there is
> a free-to-use community edition.
>
> Something very, very interesting there; they've come back around to the
> idea of a long-lived C language runtime again (not msvcrt.dll, a successor
> to the Visual Studio 2012 flavor).
>
> So the 2015 team believes it will live on to the next generation products.
> So did the VS '97 folks, so that is no guarantee, but it's hopeful.

I think this is somewhat because from what I've been reading, apparently
Windows 10 will be good forever, "forever" at least being the life of
the machine.  The Zen Master then replied, "We'll see."

Re: Platform specific CTR/RTC?

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
I think Bill's main point is that other than himself and
gsmith, nobody else tests on MS/Win. I tried, but I never got

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.