Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Eric Wasserman <er...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/24 20:37:24 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-58 - Make Log Compaction Point Configurable

Hi,

I would like to begin voting on KIP-58 - Make Log Compaction Point
Configurable

KIP-58 is here:  <
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-58+-+Make+Log+Compaction+Point+Configurable

The Jira ticket KAFKA-1981 Make log compaction point configurable
is here: <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1981>

The original pull request is here: <
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/1168>
(this includes configurations for size and message count lags that will be
removed per discussion of KIP-58).

The vote will run for 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] KIP-58 - Make Log Compaction Point Configurable

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Sounds good.

Posted by Joel Koshy <jj...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the proposal

Re: inconsistent names: KAFKA-3234
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-3234> has a patch and
discussion in the PR that should help address the inconsistencies and
various other issues but we decided it would need a small KIP. (If someone
else wishes to take over that feel free to)

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.

Posted by Grant Henke <gh...@cloudera.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Grant Henke
Software Engineer | Cloudera

Re: [VOTE] KIP-58 - Make Log Compaction Point Configurable

Posted by Ben Stopford <be...@confluent.io>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Tom Crayford <tc...@heroku.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Ewen Cheslack-Postava <ew...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@confluent.io>.
I'm +1 on the concept.

Posted by James Cheng <wu...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure what are the rules for who is allowed to vote, but I'm:

+1 (non-binding) on the proposal

I agree that the "log.cleaner.min.compaction.lag.ms" name is a little confusing.

I like Becket's "log.cleaner.compaction.delay.ms", or something similar.

The KIP describes it as the portion of the topic "that will remain uncompacted", so if you're open to alternate names:

"log.cleaner.uncompacted.range.ms"
"log.cleaner.uncompacted.head.ms" (Except that I always get "log tail" and "log head" mixed up...)
"log.cleaner.uncompacted.retention.ms" (Will it be confusing to have the word "retention" in non-time-based topics?)

I just thought of something: what happens to the value of "log.cleaner.delete.retention.ms"? Does it still have the same meaning as before? Does the timer start when log compaction happens (as it currently does), so in reality, tombstones will only be removed from the log some time after (log.cleaner.min.compaction.lag.ms + log.cleaner.delete.retention.ms)?

Posted by Becket Qin <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
Hey, its been over 3 days since the vote started and we clearly have over 3
+1s.

Eric,

Feel free to close the vote and we can move to code reviews :)

Gwen

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io>.
Thanks for the proposal. +1

Jun