Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kai Jiang <ji...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/26 11:05:09 UTC

Re: Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2018 is coming

Hi Beam Community,

I am Kai Jiang, a master student majoring in CS from Portland State
University, highly interested in big data and distributed System. I have
contributed code to Apache Spark as a selected GSoC project in 2016.
Besides, I've been contributing to Beam codebase. Some my Pull Requests are
here.
https://github.com/apache/beam/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Avectorijk+is%3Aclosed

This year, I really want to extend my future contribution with Beam into a
GSoC project and look forward to contributing something meaningful and
impactful. So, I was wondering if there are some specific ideas, issues or
suggestions regarding SQL, Python/Go SDK, Kafka Stream Runner or others
could be gathered into a project. If community has other ideas, I am very
happy and willing to work on some issues before GSoC and get started with
something new during GSoC. After talking about ideas, I'd love to open
ticket on JIRA and write the proposal to apply for GSoC. I would appreciate
if any committer is interested in mentoring.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,
Kai
github.com/vectorijk

Posted by Kai Jiang <ji...@gmail.com>.
@Kenneth,

Thanks for getting back to me! I am excited to hear that you want to be the
mentor.
Definitely, I am very willing to work on SQL. I will ping you offline
(slack or email) and talk more about that.

Best,
Kai

Posted by Kai Jiang <ji...@gmail.com>.
@Ismaël

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.
I thought the same thing, but here is a quote from the latest on the ASF
GSoC sent two days ago: "Lastly, it is not yet too late to record your
ideas in Jira (see my previous emails for details). Students will now begin
to explore ideas so if you haven’t already done so, record your ideas
immediately!"

The deadline that passed was the one for the ASF to submit itself as an
organization to GSoC. Now that the ASF has been accepted, the deadline for
student applications is March 27. As I understand it, the student
applications can be variations or entirely new projects, as the org &
student should work together to find the best fit. The whole timeline is
here: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline.

Kenn

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.