Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Michael Pantazoglou <mi...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/02 11:43:15 UTC

Re: Application Code Management tool

Hi Niclas, all,

I set up a temp repo in Github to share the code for this Tower utility.

https://github.com/michaelpantazoglou/smartnerds-tower

Unfortunately the code is not build-able, as it depends on some additional
artefacts, but hopefully it will give you a better idea of what its
functionality is intended for.

We are using Tower extensively in our JUnit test cases in order to quickly
assemble and launch a Qi4j app with all needed composites etc. An example
is as follows:

@Before
public void setUp() throws Exception {

   tower = SmartnerdsTower.newInstance(Application.Mode.test);
   tower.addDomainCapabilityBlock(SmartnerdsCatalogue.DomainCapability.Timetables,
         SmartnerdsTowerConstants.DEFAULT_CONFIGURATION_PROPERTIES,
         SmartnerdsCatalogue.EntityStore.Memory,
         SmartnerdsTowerConstants.DEFAULT_CONFIGURATION_PROPERTIES,
         SmartnerdsCatalogue.EntityIndex.ElasticSearchInMemory,
         SmartnerdsTowerConstants.DEFAULT_CONFIGURATION_PROPERTIES
   ).start(HTTP_PORT);

   module = tower.getModule(SmartnerdsCatalogue.DomainCapability.Timetables.getId());

   restLiClient = RestLiClient.Factory.createRetLiClient(HTTP_HOST, HTTP_PORT);
}

@After
public void tearDown() throws Exception {

   restLiClient.shutdown();
   tower.stop();
}

Here we start a Tower in test mode, hosting one Domain Capability. A Tower
can host as many blocks as needed. For each such block, the following
parameters are expected:

1) Domain Capability Id: This reference is used to retrieve details about
the capability from an internal catalogue, where we register all
capabilities. Those details include the Capability assembler, and the
resource packages that rest.li will look into to deploy the capability's
REST API.

2) Capability Config Properties: This is the name of the (optional)
.properties file that is used to configure the capability (not all
capabilities require configuration, but some do)

3) Entity Store Id: Again, this reference is used to retrieve the assembler
of the entity store that this capability will use. Note that, we are using
again our internal catalogue, where we register each ES for which we have
an assembler.

4) Entity Store Config Properties: The name of the (optional) .properties
file that may be required in order to configure the ES (e.g. see PostgreSQL
ES)

5) Entity Index Id: Similar semantics like 3), but applies to the EI

6) Entity Index Config Properties: Similar semantics like 4), but applies
to the EI

The .start(HTTP_PORT) simply starts the rest.li server that will offer the
REST API of that capability through the specified port.

* * *

So with this utility we can easily assemble and deploy as many building
blocks as required by a particular use case, and we can easily configure
different sets of ES/EI infrastructure to be used by each building block
independently. We can even use many Tower instances on the same JVM to
provision parts of our system through different ports, configurations, etc.

>From our point of view, it would be great if, out of this custom piece of
code, we could derive an independent, generic mechanism that would help any
entry-level Qi4j developer get their code up and running fast - hence make
them feel the Zest! :-)

Cheers,
Michael

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Had a quick look, and although there are a few things that I don't like, I
would like to focus on the "Intent" and agree that it would be good if
there is an essence of a generic scaffold here. The code is, after all,
just an implementation detail (those of you who hasn't been around since
the start, the Qi4j Core is on its 4th complete rewrite), and don't feel
offended if we are ending up far from the current position.

So a "Domain Capability" is a end-to-end application stack, complete with
stores/index/config at the bottom and service/http layer at top?? And each
DC is self-deployable?
What is a "Block" more precisely? It seems to be one layer, or possibly
multiple layers, no sure...

My guess is that the REST part here is the central point of abstraction,
and that is pretty cool on one hand, but we would need to make the REST
aspect a generic abstraction.

Thinking out loud (assuming I am getting the main point of Tower);

Tower.forCapabilityClass( RestApplication.class ) // defines layers and
major scaffolding
   .onPort( HTTP_PORT )   // Type-safe from the RestApplication generic
   .addBlock( Timetables.class )  // RestApplication needs a super type
with DSL in it
   .using( new InMemoryEntityStore() )  // Why not ordinary Assemblers?
   .using( new ElasticSearchMemoryIndexing() ).identifiedBy(
"elasticsearch" )
   .start( Application.Mode.test );

public class RestApplication extends CapabilityClass
{
    public RestApplication onPort( int port )
    {
        this.port = port;
    }

    @Layer( "connectivity" )
    @UsesLayers( { "domain", "security" } )
    public class ConnectivityLayer
    {

        @Module( "rest" )
        public void onStart( ModuleAssembly assembly )
        {
        }
    }
}

>From the above, another idea struck; What happens if one can define the
application structure as a single interface;

@Application
public interface MyApplication
{
    @Layer
    @Uses( ServiceLayer.class )
    interface ConnectivityLayer
    {
        @Module
        @Assemblers( { RestliAssembler.class, JettyAssembler.class } )
        interface RestModule {}
    }

    @Layer
    @Uses(DomainLayer.class)
    @Assemblers( DynamicServicesAssembler.class )  // in case the modules
are
                                                   // not known until
runtime
    interface ServiceLayer{}

    @Layer
    interface DomainLayer{}
     :
     :
}

And pass that to the ApplicationAssemblyFactory, or even a wrapper around
the whole thing at a higher level. That could actually be very useful
starting point. Of course the devil is in the details, but by avoid
replicating Assembly constructs (as current Tower does to some extent) we
might not need to sacrifice the power of flexibility, yet get something
easier to comprehend initially.

Cheers

On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Michael Pantazoglou <