Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jon Wilmoth <jo...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/16 20:24:58 UTC

Overriding subset of interceptor params

I'm trying to override one of three interceptor parameters in an action specific config using method #2 described in
http://struts.apache.org/2.0.11.1/docs/interceptors.html#Interceptors-InterceptorParameterOverriding.  Unfortunately the other two parameters that I'm not overriding are not being taken from the default stack definition and are ending up as null on the interceptor.  Before I open a Jira bug (or enhancement request), I thought I'd make sure a) this isn't user error b) the expected behavior is "my" expected behavior (i.e. bug vs. enhancement).  Below is a sample action config showing what I'm attempting...

<package name="packageA"...>
    <interceptors>
        <interceptor name="myInterceptor" class="..."/>
        <interceptor-stack name="myStack">
            <interceptor-ref name="defaultStack"/>
            <interceptor-ref name="myInterceptor">
                <param name="paramA">defaultValueA</param>
                <param name="paramB">defaultValueB</param>
                <param name="paramC">defaultValueC</param>
            </interceptor-ref>
        </interceptor-stack>
</package>

With the following action config, the "myInterceptor" interceptor's  paramA & paramB are null and not "defaultValueA" and "defaultValueB" as expected/desired.

<package name="packageB" extends="packageA"...>
    <action name="myAction" class="myActionClass">
        <interceptor-ref name="myStack">
            <param name="myInterceptor.paramC">actionSpecificValue</param>
        </interceptor-ref>
    </action>
</package>

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Overriding subset of interceptor params

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
Seems OK to me (according to the current documentation.)

I've only overriden interceptor parameters in the declaration of a new
stack, and it is working OK:

      <interceptor-stack name="secureStack">
        <interceptor-ref name="auth" />
        <interceptor-ref name="defaultStack">
          <param name="exception.logEnabled">true</param>
          <param name="exception.logLevel">ERROR</param>
          <param name="exception.logCategory">my.package.here</param>
        </interceptor-ref>
      </interceptor-stack>

Try to create a new stack for your action (for testing pourposes only)
to see if the results are the same. If they are, post your struts.xml
file here.