Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Roger Leigh <rl...@codelibre.net> on 2019/05/26 20:10:44 UTC

Recent work on the Xalan-C repository

Hi folks,

Over the weekend, I've made quite a bit of progress at bringing the
Xalan-C codebase more up to date using the new git repository.

I have made these general changes:
- Applied all outstanding patches used by various distributors
- Brought the codebase up to C++98 as the minimum baseline; all
pre-C++98 compatibility macros have been dropped
- Added a CMake build as a replacement for the old and somewhat broken
Autoconf-based build
- Added Travis CI support

Pull requests opened to date:
https://github.com/apache/xalan-c/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

CI testing:
https://travis-ci.org/rleigh-codelibre/xalan-c/builds/537516613
(currently this can be enabled on an individual basis; needs enabling by
Apache admins for github.com/apache/xalan-c.git)

I'll look at enabling AppVeyor for Windows testing as well.

I've tested the Autoconf and CMake build systems on
- Linux (Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04)
- FreeBSD 12
- MacOS 10.14
- Windows 10 with Visual Studio 2017

and it builds and tests successfully on all of them.

Any comments or feedback would be welcome.  It's quite possible that
there could have been some portability regressions for very old
platforms.  However, the intent is to improve portability for current
systems and C++ compilers so that Xalan-C++ remains a viable project for
contemporary use.

I'm currently usable to update JIRA.  If anyone has the permissions to
allow me to work with the XALANC project, that would be appreciated.

Further changes can include:
- Fixing up compiler warnings for current GCC, LLVM and MSVC compilers
- Running static analysis and linters over the codebase to identify and
correct issues with code correctness
- Dropping the MacOS and Windows project files (CMake replaces them)
- Dropping the Autoconf build (unless anyone wants to commit to
replacing it with a working Autoconf/Automake/Libtool setup like for
Xerces-C++)

Are there any other outstanding changes which would need to go in?

I'd like to release this once everyone is happy with the state of the
codebase for a new release.  There haven't been any API-breaking
changes, so 1.12 should be OK.

Kind regards,
Roger

Re: Recent work on the Xalan-C repository

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 9:02 AM Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Gary,
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 6:01 PM Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> JIRA has two (2) "Mukul Gandhi"s; *Mukul*, which JIRA ID do you use?
>>

> I use the Jira Id mukul_gandhi.

You are now a Jira Admin for XalanJ2 and XalanC.

Gary

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
billblough is now an admin on JIRA's XALANC project.

Gary

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.

Posted by Bill Blough <de...@blough.us>.
Hi Gary,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mukul Gandhi <mu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bill Blough <bi...@apache.org>.
Hi Roger,

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 09:10:44PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Over the weekend, I've made quite a bit of progress at bringing the Xalan-C
> codebase more up to date using the new git repository.

Thanks for doing all of this.

> I'm currently usable to update JIRA.  If anyone has the permissions to allow
> me to work with the XALANC project, that would be appreciated.

I haven't had a chance to test it, but I expect that I have the same
limitations as well.  I assume the other new PMC members do also.

As the PMC chair, Gary should have the ability to assign the needed Jira
permissions.  If for some reason he doesn't, then he'll need to contact
INFRA in order to straighten out his access first.  At least, that's the
process as I understand it.

> Are there any other outstanding changes which would need to go in?

I'm not aware of any currently, though I haven't had time to dig through
Jira looking for significant issues.

Best regards,
Bill