Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Nabarun Nag <nn...@apache.org> on 2020/03/22 00:16:25 UTC

[VOTE] Using Github issues and wiki for geode-kafka-connector project

Hello team,

We are planning to experiment with using Github issues and wiki for the
Apache project *Geode-Kafka-Connector. *(not Apache Geode project). Please
do give your vote on this as we need to send the vote link to infra to
activate it.

*Why are we doing this ? / Advantages* :
1. *Unified location* to have documentation, code and issue tracking.
2. Leverage Github tools like Github pages to create websites hosting
information about the project.
3. No separate JIRA accounts or permission required to create issues.
4. This will have *no impact on the broader Geode community* as right now
only 3-4 developers involved in this project.
5. *This is an experiment.* If things do not work out we can always revert
back to the traditional way of having separate JIRA, documentation,
websites etc.

*Precedence*:
1. Kubernetes uses the github issues
2. RabbitMQ uses github issues.

*NOTE: *- Please be cordial and do not use any condescending language and
absolutely no bullying.
- Please treat this email as a professional business email and maintain
email etiquette while replying.

Regards
Nabarun

RE: [VOTE] Using Github issues and wiki for geode-kafka-connector project

Posted by Alberto Bustamante Reyes <al...@est.tech>.
+1
It will be easier to contribute to Geode if you just need a github account.
________________________________
Posted by "Ju@N" <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Ju@N

Re: [VOTE] Using Github issues and wiki for geode-kafka-connector project

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Check out [1] for a list of projects that are moving to GitHub issues.  As long as the PMC approves, INFRA will support the switch.

(Side note:  kinda ironic that you have to file a JIRA to move to GitHub issues :-)

+1 for experimenting with the geode-kafka-connector repo.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20INFRA%20AND%20text%20~%20%22GitHub%20issues%22 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20=%20INFRA%20AND%20text%20~%20%22GitHub%20issues%22>

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Michael Oleske <mo...@pivotal.io>.
+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-michael

Posted by Aaron Lindsey <aa...@apache.org>.
YES +1

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@pivotal.io>.
+1!

Posted by Owen Nichols <on...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
+1

-Dan

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.com>.
+1

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.
How about keeping things in the GitHub wiki that are very tightly couple to the use of that repo? Like style guides? Building guides? Eh... does ASF have any input on using the GitHub wiki over the ASF wiki?

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.
I would like to circle this around to an older conversation around the RFC process. We chose to use the ASF wiki and email over using repo and PR process. If we move more things over to GitHub I think that warrants a rethink. RFC conversations have been split between email and wiki comments. Using the PR process integrates inline commenting and email into a single interface. We don’t need to discuss this now, just tossing it out as food for thought as we look to embrace more GitHub features over ASF services.

-Jake

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <da...@vmware.com>.
+1
I like the look of the samples.
I also want to echo Anthony and Blake: Accessibility is huge, not only because it smooths the way for adding content, but for pruning outdated material.

On 4/24/20, 7:18 AM, "Blake Bender" <bb...@pivotal.io> wrote:

    +1 - Wow, research - nice work, Naba, this is great!

    Just want to emphasize a larger point I failed to make in my response re:
    Markdown.  My experience with Wikis has been that it's very difficult to

Posted by Blake Bender <bb...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Nabarun Nag <nn...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Anthony!

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.