Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com> on 2014/02/17 23:22:40 UTC

channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed

After the upgrade to 3.4.0 I persistently get the following error from
sa-update.

  channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed

If I run it with --debug then it looks like it gets everything that it
needs but then still fails.  Here is the small snippet.

  Feb 17 14:56:38.859 [7333] dbg: http: /usr/bin/curl -s -L -O --remote-time -g --max-redirs 2 --connect-timeout 30 --max-time 300 --fail -o 1567423.tar.gz -- http://www.sa-update.pccc.com/1567423.tar.gz
  Feb 17 14:56:39.130 [7333] dbg: http: process [7337], exit status: 5632

Of course that location is 404 Not Found.

  Feb 17 14:56:37.483 [7333] dbg: dns: 0.4.3.updates.spamassassin.org => 1567423, parsed as 1567423

  $ dig 0.4.3.updates.spamassassin.org +short txt
  "1567423"

Is there a mirror sync issue?  That serial number seems old.  A
previous version 3.3.2 is up to 1568594.

  $ dig 2.3.3.updates.spamassassin.org +short txt
  "1568594"

Unfortunately the mirrors are configured such that it isn't possible
to list what files are actually there so I can't tell anything
further.  Any ideas?

Bob

Re: channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> Thanks for posting this.  I will work on the issue and open a bug.

Excellent!

> This is the first time we've switched the minor version (i.e. 3.3 to
> 3.4) and there is likely a publishing script I have to find and
> update.

There are bound to be some glitches along the way when it hasn't been
done for a while.  Thanks for your work on this!

Posted by Bob Proulx <bo...@proulx.com>.
Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> Alex wrote:
> >I also don't see any references to BAYES_999 on my v3.4.0 system,
> >including in the updates.spamassassin.org channel updates. What am I
> >doing wrong?
>
> Nothing.  There is an issue where the SA rules didn't update due to
> spam corpora followed immediately by a change at ASF on their SSL
> cert that broke all the automated processes that I have to fix. Then
> we are dealing with how to publish rules for a new minor version
> (i.e. 3.4) correctly.  I'm trying not to dump support for 3.3.X
> rules.

This appears to be working now.  I can run sa-update and all appears
to be working.

Thank you for trying not to dump the 3.3.x rules.  Those are still
going to be in use for a while.

Thanks!

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 2/17/2014 7:19 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Thanks for posting this.  I will work on the issue and open a bug.  This is
>> the first time we've switched the minor version (i.e. 3.3 to 3.4) and there
>> is likely a publishing script I have to find and update.
>>
>> NOTE: I'd highly recommend running 3.4.0 but download the rules from
>> spamassassin.apache.org/downloads.cgi?update=201402111327 and install
>> manually.  We'll get the rules distro working and there haven't been any
>> earth shattering changes in the past few days (except for a bug which this
>> will avoid).
> The rules in this tarball are dated Feb 6th. If we're already using
> sa-update, and have the Feb 12th rules installed, are they the latest?
I would have to check but likely no.
> I also don't see any references to BAYES_999 on my v3.4.0 system,
> including in the updates.spamassassin.org channel updates. What am I
> doing wrong?
Nothing.  There is an issue where the SA rules didn't update due to spam
corpora followed immediately by a change at ASF on their SSL cert that
broke all the automated processes that I have to fix. Then we are
dealing with how to publish rules for a new minor version (i.e. 3.4)
correctly.  I'm trying not to dump support for 3.3.X rules.

regards,
KAM

Re: channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Thanks for posting this.  I will work on the issue and open a bug.  This is
> the first time we've switched the minor version (i.e. 3.3 to 3.4) and there
> is likely a publishing script I have to find and update.
>
> NOTE: I'd highly recommend running 3.4.0 but download the rules from
> spamassassin.apache.org/downloads.cgi?update=201402111327 and install
> manually.  We'll get the rules distro working and there haven't been any
> earth shattering changes in the past few days (except for a bug which this
> will avoid).

The rules in this tarball are dated Feb 6th. If we're already using
sa-update, and have the Feb 12th rules installed, are they the latest?

I also don't see any references to BAYES_999 on my v3.4.0 system,
including in the updates.spamassassin.org channel updates. What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: channel: could not find working mirror, channel failed

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.