Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/13 21:36:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] cordova-windows, AppVeyor: Enable Rolling builds, disable duplicate builds for PR/branches

Hi all.

Everybody who has worked on cordova-windows and AppVeyor knows that it
can take quite a long time until the builds actually start which is
caused by all the other Apache projects also using the same (free)
account, with only one build at a time.

But I noticed there are also some things we can do to create less builds:

AppVeyor has a configuration area like this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12866418/screenshot-1.png

The first relevant option are "Rolling Builds":
https://www.appveyor.com/docs/build-configuration/#rolling-builds

> Whenever you do a new commit to the same branch OR pull request all current queued/running builds for that branch or PR are cancelled and the new one is queued. Other words, rolling builds make sure that only the most recent commit is built.

I would say this is almost always what we actually want - just get the
last state of a branch/PR tested.

And the second thing is "Do not build feature branches with open Pull
Requests": https://github.com/appveyor/ci/issues/882

> when enabled check if there are any opened PRs for push branch and if there any PRs build won't be started assuming there will be another build for PR(s).

1) has to be configured by INFRA, but 2) we can set ourselves in appveyor.yml.

Do you agree these both options should be enabled for cordova-windows?

Best,
Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] cordova-windows, AppVeyor: Enable Rolling builds, disable duplicate builds for PR/branches

Posted by Jan Piotrowski <pi...@gmail.com>.
Good point, thanks for the reminder.

Actually you can also create a `cordoa-windows` AppVeyor project for
apache/cordova-windows, not just for a fork (which I am currently not
using as I work in branches on the main repo directly). That way you
can just trigger builds for branches manually (via a manual call to
the REST API).

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.