Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de> on 2003/08/15 14:22:31 UTC

[BUG] StoreJanitor

The docs for the store janitor recommend to set the max heap size
to -Xmx. With JDK 1.4.1 and -Xmx set to 192mb, this is 201326592.
However, the total memory of the jvm as reported by the store janitor
is 199819264 which is less than the value above.
Now, the store janitor checks during the memory test, if the
total memory is greater (or equal) to the configured heap size.
And this is never true, so the low memory check is useless!

I saw this behaviour with different jdks (all on windows right now).

So we should either make the check more tolerant or change the docs.
Or did I oversee something?

Carsten

Re: [BUG] StoreJanitor

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>The docs for the store janitor recommend to set the max heap size
>to -Xmx. With JDK 1.4.1 and -Xmx set to 192mb, this is 201326592.
>However, the total memory of the jvm as reported by the store janitor
>is 199819264 which is less than the value above.
>Now, the store janitor checks during the memory test, if the
>total memory is greater (or equal) to the configured heap size.
>And this is never true, so the low memory check is useless!
>
>I saw this behaviour with different jdks (all on windows right now).

I saw it too. Hence the recent change in cocoon.xconf:

     <!-- Indicates the limit of the jvm memory consumption. The default max
          heapsize for Sun's JVM is (almost) 64Mb -->
     <parameter name="heapsize" value="66600000"/>

>So we should either make the check more tolerant or change the docs.

+1 to improve the docs. Say that command line parameter does not match
actual memory reserved for the heap.

Vadim