Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2003/07/24 23:17:25 UTC

Offering modules for core httpd distro

In the course of a brainstorming session on #apache-modules (IRC)
last night, it was suggested that some of my modules might be of
interest for the Apache core distro (mod_diagnostics was
specifically identified).  I have compiled a list of four filter
modules that are opensource and sufficiently general-purpose that
they could be of interest.  They are all open source, and can be
licensed under the Apache license if you are interested in adopting them.

Specifically:

1. mod_diagnostics
mod_diagnostics is a very simple module that can be inserted anywhere
in the filter chain, and logs buckets and brigades passing through.
Typical usage is to insert it immediately before and after a filter in
development to help with debugging and testing.

2. mod_upload
mod_upload is an input filter for "multipart/form-data".  It decodes
the upload, passing the contents of an uploaded file through, and
exporting uploaded data other than the file itself as an
apr_table_t of name/value.
A second filter is available to capture the file itself as a tempfile;
this serves for handlers that need synchronous upload by guaranteeing
that all the form data has been captured before processing.

3. mod_xml_gnome_xslt
This XSLT output filter is spinoff from mod_xml (and is in more
widespread production use than other mod_xml components).  It performs
XSLT transformation, and offers several optimisations including
supporting a cache of pre-compiled stylesheets, and accepting a
document tree in-memory as an alternative to conventional filter input.

4. mod_proxy_html (NEW!)
Apache as a reverse-proxy has hitherto been incomplete, as it falls
down when HTML links in proxied pages fail outside the proxy.
mod_proxy_html is an output filter to rewrite HTML links where
necessary into the proxy's address space.

Any interest?

--
Nick Kew

Re: Offering modules for core httpd distro

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:17:25PM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:
> 1. mod_diagnostics

I'd very much like to see this included.
(http://access.www.webthing.com/software/mod_diagnostics.c)

> 3. mod_xml_gnome_xslt

link?

> 4. mod_proxy_html (NEW!)

While this is _very_ useful for reverse proxying, I do not think it should
be included mainly because of the dependency on libxml2.

vh

Mads Toftum

Re: Offering modules for core httpd distro

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.
On 24/07/2003, at 11:45, André Malo wrote:

> Looks like we get closer to the point we should develop a CAHSMAN [1].
> Spare
> time available somewhere? :)

just fyi: there's a discussion about a possible revamp of
modules.apache.org going on on apache-modules@covalent.net and
irc://#apache-modules. Under consideration are the following topics:
site design, possible new features, backend clean-up/enhancements,
etc... perhaps this is a starting point :)

Cheers,
Erik

Ahh, and WRT Nicks module offer, I completely agree with you, nd.

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Nick Kew wrote:

> 1. mod_diagnostics
> mod_diagnostics is a very simple module that can be inserted anywhere
> in the filter chain, and logs buckets and brigades passing through.
> Typical usage is to insert it immediately before and after a filter in
> development to help with debugging and testing.

This sounds like a good tool for the test category.

> 2. mod_upload
> 3. mod_xml_gnome_xslt
> 4. mod_proxy_html (NEW!)

Hmm. IMHO these modules are too specific for the core distro (though
interesting!).

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Mads Toftum wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 11:33:42AM -0400, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > If you could provide a long-term stable url, we could at least point to
> > this from the ProxyPassReverse docs.  It certainly qualifies as a
> > frequently requested feature.
> >
> Or just use http://modules.apache.org/search.php?id=625

And that's going to stay consistent through whatever happens to
modules.apache.org?  Somehow I doubt it.  I hate dead links.

Joshua.

Re: Offering modules for core httpd distro

Posted by Mads Toftum <ma...@toftum.dk>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Eli Marmor <ma...@netmask.it>.
Nick Kew wrote:

> In the course of a brainstorming session on #apache-modules (IRC)
> last night, it was suggested that some of my modules might be of
> interest for the Apache core distro (mod_diagnostics was
> specifically identified).  I have compiled a list of four filter
> modules that are opensource and sufficiently general-purpose that
> they could be of interest.  They are all open source, and can be
> licensed under the Apache license if you are interested in adopting them.
>
> Specifically:
>
> 1. mod_diagnostics
>
> 2. mod_upload
>
> 3. mod_xml_gnome_xslt
>
> 4. mod_proxy_html (NEW!)
>
> Any interest?

Although my humble opinion doesn't play any role here, I must say that
all of the four modules look COOL in my eyes.
I believe that these 4 are the pieces that are missing from the puzzle
which is called "Apache 2".
I, personally, would love to see them as an integral part of Apache.

By the way: what is the difference between mod_xml_gnome_xslt and
mod_xslt?

--
Eli Marmor
marmor@netmask.it

Re: Offering modules for core httpd distro

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:17:25PM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:
> 1. mod_diagnostics
> mod_diagnostics is a very simple module that can be inserted anywhere
> in the filter chain, and logs buckets and brigades passing through.
> Typical usage is to insert it immediately before and after a filter in
> development to help with debugging and testing.

Sounds like mod_bucketeer in modules/test, which is already included.
Or, at the very least, whatever additional functionality mod_diagnostics
offers could be folded into mod_bucketeer.

So, if you'd like to provide a patch to do that, it'd probably be
welcomed.  Or, if you don't want to do that, you can just submit a
patch to add it into modules/test.  -- justin

Re: Offering modules for core httpd distro

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Nick Kew wrote:

> 1. mod_diagnostics

Well, the feedback seems to indicate interest in that.
Shall I take that as a cue to do a writeup?

(BTW, someone said mod_bucketeer, but I can't see any overlap)

> 2. mod_upload
> 3. mod_xml_gnome_xslt

OK, no interest - fair enough.

> 4. mod_proxy_html (NEW!)

I may reorganise my URLs, but I'm happy to undertake to set up a
working 301 if http://www.webthing.com/software/mod_proxy_html/
is affected.

--
Nick Kew