Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Steven Schlansker <st...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/26 18:15:28 UTC

[MNG-5551] Java 8 + Maven status

Hello everyone,

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-5551

Java 8 has now been out for a week and Maven is still not really compatible.
In particular, the maven-shade-plugin and maven-dependency-plugin do not work
due to an old version of ASM that throws ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException on Java 8 class files.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHADE-166
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MDEP-439

There may be more uses of the broken ASM, these are just the ones I’ve run into.

Is there any possibility of getting these fixed and released in the near future?  It is frustrating
to have Maven be broken on a now-considered-production JDK release.

Thanks!
Steven

Re: [MNG-5551] Java 8 + Maven status

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.
I have updated quite a few places to asm 4.x compliance (and hence 5.x). Do
let me know if I missed something, I can do the rest.

(The api changes are fairly significant so I'm assuming I can do further
upgrades about twice as fast as someone who hasn't done it...)

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Steven Schlansker <st...@gmail.com>.
Confirmed, thank you for the fix!  Eagerly awaiting the release.

Posted by Steven Schlansker <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Steven,

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Steven,

Posted by Steven Schlansker <st...@gmail.com>.
Here is a reproduction case:

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mirko Friedenhagen <mf...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Steven Schlansker <st...@gmail.com>.
No, that causes IncompatibleClassChangeErrors to be thrown when loading various ASM classes.

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.