Posted to dev@esme.apache.org by Martin Böhringer <ma...@wirtschaft.tu-chemnitz.de> on 2009/11/10 13:28:24 UTC

Collaboration with #ubimic

Hi ESME community

You discussed our suggestion for a joint project with #ubimic
(http://ubimic.org) last week and I wanted to get back to you with our
thoughts on possible collaboration scenarios.

First, I should tell you about #ubimic. We are a group of university
researchers interested in microblogging from different points of view
(computer science, information systems, organizational science). Together we
think that microblogging has great potential when it comes to integrating
normal users and things like sensors, machines and software. We are
experimenting with different microblogging tools and scenarios. For example
we have a current project where we use a little factory built with LEGO to
simulate how sensors (RFID) could participate in microblogging.

For us, two things are really cool with ESME:
- the "action" / "ESME bots" functionality
- the ESME community with its background in enterprise applications (SAP)

Therefore, I could think of different levels of collaboration:
a) loosely coupled collaboration; we share information and include each
other in publications (ESME could have a place as associated partner of
#ubimic if you're interested)
b) shared work on a SAP use case: it would be really cool, if we could
define a concrete use cases of tweeting SAP systems. For example tweeting
Purchase Requisition or Open Items. What would be benefits (easy access,
easy possibility to retweet and enrich with hashtags, ...) and what would be
problems (rights management!, implementation costs)? What's with the other
way round (create actions in the SAP system via microblogging postings)? We
could write a joint blog posting for each use case (or maybe even a
publication/white paper).
c) implement a SAP use case: that would be perfect. We have running SAP
systems at the university and I could try to get a student for the
implementation work. However, I have no knowledge of ESME and I am sure that
your system has much more to offer (actions, ESME bots)... so I would need
someone who supports us here.

Let me know what you think!

Btw: just to let you know in advance: we are working on a study on
enterprise microblogging tools. We might come back to you in a view days in
order to get some information on ESME (we have a standardized
questionnaire)...

Cheers
Martin

---
Dipl.-Wirt.-Inf. Martin Böhringer
Technische Universität Chemnitz, Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften,
Professur Wirtschaftsinformatik II

Web:     http://tu-chemnitz.de/wirtschaft/wi2
Email:   martin.boehringer@wirtschaft.tu-chemnitz.de
Xing:    http://xing.com/profile/Martin_Boehringer