Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by mo...@epix.net on 2015/01/14 23:24:14 UTC

post card problem

Hello, I have been using Openoffice for quite some time now and really like it. I am suddenly having an issue printing post cards though. I’ve been using the same format and paper for well over a year but, suddenly my post card print is half off the card. I contacted my printer support and they informed me that it was a program issue and not the printer since thing is the only time (printing post cards) is an issue. I tried uploading the most recent application of Openoffice as well but, that didn’t clear things up either. when I pull up a postcard on my program it looks fine but, when I go to “print preview” the postcard is on the far left of the page and it looks like it’s trying to print on the left side of a full piece of paper. I tried adjusting the paper size/dimension but, that didn’t seem to help. Can you tell me what I’ve done and how to correct this? I print a few hundred postcards a year so this is pretty important to me.

Thanks again,
J. Neilson
ABS Mastersmith
www.mountainhollow.net

Please note my new address:
187 Cistern Ln.
Towanda, PA 18848

*Drop me a note if you would like to be added to my
e-mailing list to see new knives and upcoming events*

Re: post card problem

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.
On 15 01 15 2:01 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 01/14/2015 07:47 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:
>>

>> Sent from my mobile device.
>>
>>> On 15 Jan 2015, at 9:24 am, <mo...@epix.net>
>>> <mo...@epix.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, I have been using Openoffice for quite some time now and
>>> really like it. I am suddenly having an issue printing post cards
>>> though. I’ve been using the same format and paper for well over a
>>> year but, suddenly my post card print is half off the card. I
>>> contacted my printer support and they informed me that it was a
>>> program issue and not the printer since thing is the only time
>>> (printing post cards) is an issue. I tried uploading the most recent
>>> application of Openoffice as well but, that didn’t clear things up
>>> either. when I pull up a postcard on my program it looks fine but,
>>> when I go to “print preview” the postcard is on the far left of the
>>> page and it looks like it’s trying to print on the left side of a
>>> full piece of paper. I tried adjusting the paper size/dimension but,
>>> that didn’t seem to help. Can you tell me what I’ve done and how to
>>> correct this?
>>
>> We can't tell what you have done, you should tell us.
>> Things you could check are:
>> The option to print multiple pages on one. This could be set within
>> OpenOfice and on most printers.
>> Check page formats especially the margins.
>> Check the zoom factor.
>
> You should not have to change any setup on the printer. The printer
> should print whatever the software sends it.

That was true in the time of matrix printers, but technology has changed
since then.

> The problem is in
> the software.

The problem could be the software, but most time the problem is with the
user, that's why a forum like this
is a good source of help.

> The only limitation on the printer is how close to the edge of the
> media it will print, and that will apply to everything
> you print. There are even some printers made to print right to the
> edge, for photo purposes, but most have limits, which you could
> look up in the specs.
> I can't help you with OO or LO--I have abandoned them because they are
> too complicated,

This forum is to help other users, expression your frustrations doesn't
help others.

> but if you can (or at least could) print
> postcards, you seem to have figured out that part of the problem.

I have figured it out and it works. If you give us the size of postcards
you like to print or better send us a file
with an example I can inform you how to set the printer settings (in
OpenOffice).

> If you have the version of OO that worked, I would suggest you
> remove the present version and install the old one.

No need to remove the present version as it works on 4.1.1 as good as on
previous versions.

Re: post card problem

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 22:01 14/01/2015 -0500, Doug McGarrett wrote:
>You should not have to change any setup on the printer. The printer
>should print whatever the software sends it.

Oh, if only life were so simple!

Printers vary greatly in how they deal with whatever is sent to them.
How does your printer deal with non-standard paper sizes? What if the
actual paper is a different size from the document? If you enter
paper sideways - e.g. with envelopes - which side does your printer
think is "up"? And more ...

>The problem is in the software.

Not necessarily. OpenOffice (and LibreOffice) separate the document
size and orientation from the printer settings, which idea some will
think is sensible. (I'm one.) Your alternative product may not do
this. Indeed, I suspect that the questioner's problem may arise from
a mismatch between the document dimensions and the printer settings.
He may, for example, have a document with postcard-sized landscape
pages but be printing these on card stock with perhaps two, three, or
four cards formed in an A4 (or "Letter") portrait sheet. The images
may need to print on the cards in either orientation. If the printer
settings are wrong, I'd be slow to accuse the software.

>If you have the version of OO that worked, I would suggest you
>remove the present version and install the old one.

It's pretty unlikely, I suggest, that this is something that has been
broken in an OpenOffice upgrade. The questioner said he had been
"using OpenOffice for quite some time now" and said nothing about any upgrade.

>I can't help you with OO or LO--I have abandoned them because they
>are too complicated ...
>I wish someone would tell the devs that the old saw is correct: If
>you play with something long enough you'll break it!

Perhaps your decision that OpenOffice must be the problem is based on
your existing opinion of the product? It may just be that your
prejudice is showing here. I wouldn't want you to lead astray other
readers of this list.

Brian Barker

Re: post card problem

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 01/14/2015 07:47 PM, Martin Groenescheij wrote:

> Sent from my mobile device.
>
>> On 15 Jan 2015, at 9:24 am, <mo...@epix.net> <mo...@epix.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I have been using Openoffice for quite some time now and really like it. I am suddenly having an issue printing post cards though. I’ve been using the same format and paper for well over a year but, suddenly my post card print is half off the card. I contacted my printer support and they informed me that it was a program issue and not the printer since thing is the only time (printing post cards) is an issue. I tried uploading the most recent application of Openoffice as well but, that didn’t clear things up either. when I pull up a postcard on my program it looks fine but, when I go to “print preview” the postcard is on the far left of the page and it looks like it’s trying to print on the left side of a full piece of paper. I tried adjusting the paper size/dimension but, that didn’t seem to help. Can you tell me what I’ve done and how to correct this?
>
> We can't tell what you have done, you should tell us.
> Things you could check are:
> The option to print multiple pages on one. This could be set within OpenOfice and on most printers.
> Check page formats especially the margins.
> Check the zoom factor.

You should not have to change any setup on the printer. The printer should print whatever the software sends it. The problem is in
the software. The only limitation on the printer is how close to the edge of the media it will print, and that will apply to everything
you print. There are even some printers made to print right to the edge, for photo purposes, but most have limits, which you could
look up in the specs.
I can't help you with OO or LO--I have abandoned them because they are too complicated, but if you can (or at least could) print
postcards, you seem to have figured out that part of the problem. If you have the version of OO that worked, I would suggest you
remove the present version and install the old one. It will probably be difficult to find an old copy if you don't have one yourself.

Re: post card problem

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <ma...@groenescheij.com>.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 15 Jan 2015, at 9:24 am, <mo...@epix.net> <mo...@epix.net> wrote:
>
> Hello, I have been using Openoffice for quite some time now and really like it. I am suddenly having an issue printing post cards though. I’ve been using the same format and paper for well over a year but, suddenly my post card print is half off the card. I contacted my printer support and they informed me that it was a program issue and not the printer since thing is the only time (printing post cards) is an issue. I tried uploading the most recent application of Openoffice as well but, that didn’t clear things up either. when I pull up a postcard on my program it looks fine but, when I go to “print preview” the postcard is on the far left of the page and it looks like it’s trying to print on the left side of a full piece of paper. I tried adjusting the paper size/dimension but, that didn’t seem to help. Can you tell me what I’ve done and how to correct this?

We can't tell what you have done, you should tell us.
Things you could check are:
The option to print multiple pages on one. This could be set within OpenOfice and on most printers.
Check page formats especially the margins.
Check the zoom factor.

> I print a few hundred postcards a year so this is pretty important to me.
>
> Thanks again,
> J. Neilson
> ABS Mastersmith
> www.mountainhollow.net
>
> Please note my new address:
> 187 Cistern Ln.
> Towanda, PA 18848

Be cautious with sharing private data on public mailing lists