Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/06 18:30:25 UTC

[general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Hello all,

This thread is about a way to improve stability in the environment of
growing patch flow in Harmony. Originally I though about DRLVM issues
but this may be helpful for classlib too.

Currenly, before committing a patch a committer checks it on his
favorite configurations (I mean architecture, OS and compiler first of
all). Another committer checks another patch on a different set of
configurations. As a result, though both patches are tested, there is
no guarantee that they will work together on any configuration.

If we agree on common testing configs we can make sure the Harmony
will be stable on at least this set of configurations. This does not
mean we won't fix problems on other configurations. The goal is to
gain and maintain general stability.

Another benefit would be in faster adoption of patches. If
contributors could check their patches on the same configs as the
committers do, there would be less likely a particular patch is
rejected.

I propose to work out a set of configs the committers will use to
check patches before committing them to SVN. We can start with a few
configs defining the platform, OS familly and the compiler used. When
we are sure the Harmony is stable we can add more configurations. IMO,
it would be reasonable to start with 3 configurations - one
configuration for each supported platform, for example:

- Windows / IA32 / MSVS .NET 2003 / release
- Linux / IA32 / GCC 4.0.3 / release
- Linux / EM64T / GCC 4.0.3 / release

There may be a contrary point - let's everyone use it's own platform -
such way we'll discover bugs earlier. I think this might work good in
a smaller project. The Harmony is quite a big child already and trying
to kill all the birds we may chase them for ages.

I'd be happy if we converge on the set of our primary target configs here.

Thank you
Pavel Ozhdikhin

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> On 10/6/06, Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >If we agree on common testing configs we can make sure the Harmony
>> >will be stable on at least this set of configurations. This does not
>> >mean we won't fix problems on other configurations. The goal is to
>> >gain and maintain general stability.
>>

>> >I propose to work out a set of configs the committers will use to
>> >check patches before committing them to SVN. We can start with a few
>> >configs defining the platform, OS familly and the compiler used. When
>> >we are sure the Harmony is stable we can add more configurations. IMO,
>> >it would be reasonable to start with 3 configurations - one
>> >configuration for each supported platform, for example:
>>
>> >- Windows / IA32 / MSVS .NET 2003 / release
>> >- Linux / IA32 / GCC 4.0.3 / release
>> >- Linux / EM64T / GCC 4.0.3 / release
>>
>> We need to check both release and debug builds...the binaries and timing
> characteristics are too different. At this immediate stage of the
> project, I
> would suggest leaving out EM64T as part of mandatory testing( unless it is
> EM64T specific functionality, eg., codegen ). Too few contributors and
> committers have access to it. We are not yet at a stage where we can make
> this mandatory.

I have a machine now :)  I will be EM64T-ing all the live-long day!

> If possible all submissions should be tested( by submitters ) on all the
> combinations identified . It is actually more urgent for submitters to do
> this. We should stop patches by email.

We don't really accept them.

> Also, at this point, it is an honor
> system, we can't attach 6 before and after test logs to each JIRA
> submission. The committer could randomly check on one or more combination,
> ...the more the better obviously.

  I think that just having a submitter note which platforms have been
tested is good.  Having others test and note their results is good too.

Best is getting community CI systems set up.  That EM64T system will be
for that, and I'll have a linux 32 bit machine also doing it.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Tim Ellison wrote:
> Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>> We need to check both release and debug builds...the binaries and timing
>> characteristics are too different. At this immediate stage of the
>> project, I
>> would suggest leaving out EM64T as part of mandatory testing( unless it is
>> EM64T specific functionality, eg., codegen ). Too few contributors and
>> committers have access to it. We are not yet at a stage where we can make
>> this mandatory.
>>
>> If possible all submissions should be tested( by submitters ) on all the
>> combinations identified . It is actually more urgent for submitters to do
>> this. We should stop patches by email. Also, at this point, it is an honor
>> system, we can't attach 6 before and after test logs to each JIRA
>> submission. The committer could randomly check on one or more combination,
>> ...the more the better obviously.
>>
>> In some cases, submissions will be platform specific ( eg., very new code
>> like GC V5, platform specific bug fixes or a simple case of developer not
>> having all the machines ). I would leave these to the committers'
>> discretion.
>
> Mandating that patches are pre-tested on a wide variety of machines is
> not conducive to building a broad community of contributors since very
> few people have access to all the machines and configurations we are
> interested in.  I'd much prefer that we work optimistically and have
> lots of people regularly building and testing the code to get the
> broadest possible coverage.  We can backtrack if problems arise.

Well, exactly, sorta.

While I think that we can't mandate, I'd like to see if we can get a
community 'meme' going where people w/ different configs try patches and
just report into the JIRA that things worked...  would give the
committer that handles the patch a bit more confidence...

geir

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/06, Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A better solution would be if he sends us a patch which fixes his problem.
> It
> is open source, isn't it? If it doesn't work for you, fix it yourself. The
> more people care about some platform or configuration, the better it
> works.

May be the best way is to join the both solutions in this case?
So we will fix bugs on every platforms we can reach
plus provide a priviliged support (I mean the stability of JRE) for
some certain "builds from the box": example WindowsXP, SUSE10...
The quality and stability is often more attractive feature than performance
for Java users.
So we must do something to beat the RI here.

--
Mikhail Fursov

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by Gregory Shimansky <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday 10 October 2006 17:28 Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Nope, just the fact that there always will configurations we do not
> support. And the best we can do is to sum all of those we do support.
> For example: Linux user may read the configuration we do support, install
> all of the needed environment and run the VM happily. It could  better
> solution (or alternative) for user then asking a forum and waiting a fix.

A better solution would be if he sends us a patch which fixes his problem. It
is open source, isn't it? If it doesn't work for you, fix it yourself. The
more people care about some platform or configuration, the better it works.

Being more serious, is gcc version so important? I mean gcc is slowly
hardening rules of C/C++ language interpretation. That is the reason why we
had problems moving from 3.3 to 3.4 and then to 4.x. Personally I use 4.1.1
which is the latest stable for Gentoo and it compiles harmony ok. The
warnings which were fixed for 4.x don't cause problems on older versions.

Should be also specify compilation flags? Like we
support -mprefetch-loop-arrays but don't support -funroll-all-loops? It looks
silly to me. All software has bugs and we may encounter bugs in gcc just like
everyone else. Those who have problems with some particular version can
investigate and possibly find a solution or workaround. Those who don't want
to deal with it can use a binary build.

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Nope, just the fact that there always will configurations we do not support.
And the best we can do is to sum all of those we do support.
For example: Linux user may read the configuration we do support, install
all of the needed environment and run the VM happily. It could  better
solution (or alternative) for user then asking a forum and waiting a fix.

On 10 Oct 2006 19:45:49 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the 0x1FE day of Apache Harmony Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> > On 10 Oct 2006 19:29:06 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > why hide from problems? let's fix 'em all (jokingly)
> > >

> > Is it possible with Linux? :)
>
> holy war? :)
>
> --
> Egor Pasko, Intel Managed Runtime Division

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x1FE day of Apache Harmony Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2006 19:29:06 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > why hide from problems? let's fix 'em all (jokingly)
> >

> Is it possible with Linux? :)

holy war? :)

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
On Oct 9, 2006, at 8:52 AM, Mark Hindess wrote:

> On 9 October 2006 at 16:12, "Pavel Ozhdikhin"
> <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> ,

>>> Mandating that patches are pre-tested on a wide variety of
>>> machines is
>>> not conducive to building a broad community of contributors since
>>> very
>>> few people have access to all the machines and configurations we are
>>> interested in.  I'd much prefer that we work optimistically and have
>>> lots of people regularly building and testing the code to get the
>>> broadest possible coverage.  We can backtrack if problems arise.
>
> Agreed.  Broadest possible coverage is much more important.
>
>> Even is a committer does't have a wide variety of machines I think we
>> can still mandate that his/her commits are checked on the right
>> configuration.
>
> You'd also need to mandate linker versions and assembler versions too.

Which I think we should do.  I can see no good reason for not doing
this other than versions people port harmony too not having a given
version of the toolset available, but that's a problem I'd love to
have :)

[snip]

> I'm a committer.  I test most patches on my ia32 thinkpad, which is
> running Debian/testing (mostly).  I've got the following compilers
> installed:
>
>   gcc-2.95
>   gcc-3.0
>   gcc-3.2
>   gcc-3.3
>   gcc-3.4
>   gcc-4.0
>   gcc-4.1
>
> It turns out that my gcc-4.0 despite belonging to a package with a
> version number of "4.0.3-3" might not be gcc-4.0.3 because "gcc -v"
> says:
>
>   gcc-4.0 (GCC) 4.0.4 20060507 (prerelease) (Debian 4.0.3-3)
>
> So I guess my 4.0.3 and, for example, Geir's on ubuntu are probably
> different.
>
> I don't plan to compile a new version of 4.0.3 from fresh sources (or
> install the ubuntu version or anything like that) because:
>
> 1) I don't think it matters that much
>
> 2) Next week we'd probably find a binutils problem and I'm definitely
> not changing that.
>
> 3) I actually think diversity is ok.  I've not really seen a huge
> amount
> of problems with different gcc versions.  And if there are problems
> with
> compiler incompatibilities then I want them to receive focus quickly -
> breaking is a good way to get peoples attention.  What I'd really not
> want is for problems to go unnoticed because all the committers have
> spent time setting up their machines to be identical.

Agreed,  but they should be close, I believe.

geir

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> What an interesting discussion! I have just read this out. :)
>
> IMHO, all of the discussion is focused on the scalability of
> bazar-like development as it exists here in harmony incubator:
>
> If something wrong is commited, then everyone has broken build or
> something doesn't work. - This is bad. System is badly scalable. What
> can we do here?

Over time, evolve to a system where a build distributor checks each
commit before it's commited.

For now, we get good CI running all over the community so we know ASAP.

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.
Bazaar is a funny concept. :) I think it'll work assuming we have a
bazaar police - something constantly checking integrity of our code on
some target platforms. These may be the community members reporting
failures or a tool constantly testing  some target platforms. But this
tool is another topic for discussion.

Thanks,
Pavel

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Mike Ringrose <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Ringrose <mi...@gmail.com>.
Here's a reference that I found.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2003-11/msg01568.html

Here's a link to ISO C 1999 standard. Look at section 5.1.1.2, item #3.

http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/docs/n1124.pdf

Mike Ringrose

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x201 day of Apache Harmony Weldon Washburn wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > Weldon Washburn wrote:

> > > gcc 3.4.5.  If its a bug, its unlikely we will fix gcc or wait for gcc
> > > to be
> > > fixed.
>

> > Have you tried it on another version?
> > No I have not tried it on another version.  If Mike Ringrose is correct
> > about the ISO spec, the basic problem is that MSVC compiler is not ISO
> > compliant.  I have hit this specific problem multiple times over the years.
> > That is, code developed on windows laptop w/o a blank new line at the end
> > will not compile on gcc.
>

> No I have not tried it on another version.  If Mike Ringrose is correct
> about the ISO spec, the basic problem is that MSVC compiler is not ISO
> compliant.  I have hit this specific problem multiple times over the years.
> That is, code developed on windows laptop w/o a blank new line at the end
> will not compile on gcc.
>
> The real issue is that there are a bunch of "minor" incompatibilities
> between MSVC and gcc.  I would not recommend holding one's breath waiting
> for them to go away.  My approach to the above is to simply test on both
> linux and windows before committing.

+1 for checking on both win&lin as a pre-commit (for C/C++). I recall
many incompatibilities between the two compilers, so, checking both
platforms is less of a burden than it is a benefit.

Checking on various toolchains (gcc version, libc, binutils) seems not
so obviously helpful to me. Because it is a heavy check, not giving
much in terms of bug isolation.

There are various real-life situations, when a toolchain version can
influence on stability, but I think, they are not so common and are
not worth the effort of checking before each commit.

On compilation problems: let's take a more restrictive GCC (4.1?) and
that would cook all compilation for us on Linux.

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Weldon Washburn wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>

>> Weldon Washburn wrote:
>> > A word of caution to those who are committing C/C++ code.  There are
>> unique
>> > features of Microsoft C/C++ that will cause a build failure on Linux
>> and
>> > vice versa.  For example, gcc expects that the end of a C/C++ file is a
>> > blank line.  Microsoft does not.
>>
>> That's gotta be a bug.  What version are you using?
>

> gcc 3.4.5.  If its a bug, its unlikely we will fix gcc or wait for gcc
> to be
> fixed.

Have you tried it on another version?

   The pragmatic approach would be to simply open the *.cpp files, go

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
this I can believe :)

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Once every file is started with /* */ like comment (Apache license) the line
endings are not a problem :)

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Ringrose <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Yes, It is reasonable and obvious.
And I believe that committers are using it already.

SY, Alexey

2006/10/10, Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>:
> On 10/9/06, Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Pavel,
> >
> > I'm sorry I did not catch how for example Nathan's commits will be checked
> > on the configurations he does not have?
>
> Since we have the problem with diversity of the hardware the
> committers own the following procedure might be reasonable:
>
>  - If the commit does not depend on platform/OS, for example, a patch
> to some OS-independent Java API, he checks it only Windows with
> definite configuration.
>
> - If the commit may depend on the platform, for example, a patch to
> the system-dependent native code, he checks it on Windows with
> definite configuration and ask another committer to check it on other
> system.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail
> >

> Thanks,
> Pavel

> > > Even is a committer does't have a wide variety of machines I think we
> > > can still mandate that his/her commits are checked on the right
> > > configuration. If the majority works on GCC 4.0.3 checking the patch
> > > on GCC 3.3.2 might not reveal the problems. Regular testing will, but
> > > the time spend on backtracking is lost. The proposal is not only about
> > > variety of configurations but is also about configurations themselves.
> > > Rana proposed to exclude EM64T and add debug configs, so for now the
> > > list is following:
> > >
> > > - Windows / IA32 / MSVS .NET 2003 / release
> > > - Windows / IA32 / MSVS .NET 2003 / debug
> > > - Linux / IA32 / GCC 4.0.3 / release
> > > - Linux / IA32 / GCC 4.0.3 / debug
> > > - Linux / EM64T / GCC 4.0.3 / release
> > > - Linux / EM64T / GCC 4.0.3 / debug (the last two are questionable,
> > > but at least Geir has a machine)
> > >
> > > Assuming you are testing you commits on one of the machines above, do
> > > you agree it make sense all committers to use the same configuration?
> > > For example, if you use Linux/IA32 and another committer uses
> > > Linux/IA32, do you agree that it makes sense to use the same compiler
> > > versions for pre-commit testing?
> > >
> > > Contributors are still free to check their patches whenever they want
> > > or don't test them at all, but they should know what to expect from
> > > the committers.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Pavel

Alexey A. Petrenko

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.
Please note that the concrete version of OS is also important. I.e.
something that works on WinXP can break on ws2003 or win2000. I have
already seen such problems.

Regards,

Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division

Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Loenko <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi Pavel,

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rana Dasgupta <rd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/7/06, Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What would you do if you need to commit a patch to some Linux-specific
> code in VM?
> The commit criteria my be either as simple as a list of configs or
> have also some exclusions. For example, there is no much sense to test
> on Linux a patch for a source file which is not even compiled on
> Windows.

I meant "not even compiled on Linux", of course. :)

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/7/06, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/10/6, Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>:
> > What would you do if you need to commit a patch to some Linux-specific
> > code in VM?
> And I do not have Linux?
> I will not commit this patch of course. And will ask another committer
> to do this.

Right, you won't commit patches that require checking on the platform
you don't have. This is not because the criteria require this, this is
because you understand that you can't test it properly. I propose that
we introduce the criteria which will support our common sense and make
our development more determined.

> Pavel, again. I understand your concern and I think that testing a
> patch different platforms is really good approach.
> But I'm afraid that it is unreal to set this as a requirement for all
> the commiters and all the patches.

I think this depends on the requirements. Would you agree for example,
to switch to a particular compiler version if all committers agree to
use it? This might be a first requirement.

> But this is should not be a big problem. Because we have a regression
> tests. So if one committer commits something on Linux and accidentally
> breaks something on Windows another community member will catch it.

The problem is that a concious contributor can not pass tests and
submit his/her patches until code is broken. Also a contributor can
not be sure passing all tests is enough to make sure the committer
will pass thesame  tests with this patch. I'm not sure even that
currently all the committers use the same GCC version.

Anyway, thanks for your attention to the problem!

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Pavel Ozhdikhin wrote:
> What would you do if you need to commit a patch to some Linux-specific
> code in VM?

Ask someone w/ a linux box to check it.

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
I'm also not sure that ALL the commiters has Windows and Linux at the
same time...

And Nathan is an example :)

Posted by Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>.
Alexey,

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Pavel,

Your idea has sence. But... Are you sure that all the committers has
all the mentioned configurations?

SY, Alexey

2006/10/6, Pavel Ozhdikhin <pa...@gmail.com>:
> Hello all,
>
> This thread is about a way to improve stability in the environment of
> growing patch flow in Harmony. Originally I though about DRLVM issues
> but this may be helpful for classlib too.
>
> Currenly, before committing a patch a committer checks it on his
> favorite configurations (I mean architecture, OS and compiler first of
> all). Another committer checks another patch on a different set of
> configurations. As a result, though both patches are tested, there is
> no guarantee that they will work together on any configuration.
>
> If we agree on common testing configs we can make sure the Harmony
> will be stable on at least this set of configurations. This does not
> mean we won't fix problems on other configurations. The goal is to
> gain and maintain general stability.
>
> Another benefit would be in faster adoption of patches. If
> contributors could check their patches on the same configs as the
> committers do, there would be less likely a particular patch is
> rejected.
>
> I propose to work out a set of configs the committers will use to
> check patches before committing them to SVN. We can start with a few
> configs defining the platform, OS familly and the compiler used. When
> we are sure the Harmony is stable we can add more configurations. IMO,
> it would be reasonable to start with 3 configurations - one
> configuration for each supported platform, for example:
>
> - Windows / IA32 / MSVS .NET 2003 / release
> - Linux / IA32 / GCC 4.0.3 / release
> - Linux / EM64T / GCC 4.0.3 / release
>
> There may be a contrary point - let's everyone use it's own platform -
> such way we'll discover bugs earlier. I think this might work good in
> a smaller project. The Harmony is quite a big child already and trying
> to kill all the birds we may chase them for ages.
>
> I'd be happy if we converge on the set of our primary target configs here.
>
> Thank you
> Pavel Ozhdikhin

Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division