Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Geoffrey Elgey <ge...@wedgetail.com> on 2004/02/03 03:30:40 UTC

Apache FTP Server: how to build and run?

G'day,

I've just downloaded Apache FTP server
(ftpserver-with-phoenix-0.9-src.tar.gz), and I'm having troubling
running the server.

There was no top-level README file in the unpacked distribution, so I
was not sure how to proceed. I ran "ant compile dist" to build an
initial distribution [1] [2].

Within this distribution, the top-level README just says to run
"bin/run.sh", so I did, and got the following exception:

Using PHOENIX_HOME:
/local/tmp/ftp-server-with-phoenix-0.9/dist/ftp-server-1.0
Using PHOENIX_TMPDIR:
/local/tmp/ftp-server-with-phoenix-0.9/dist/ftp-server-1.0/temp
Using JAVA_HOME:      /usr/lib/j2se/1.3
Running Phoenix:

Phoenix 4.0.3

org.apache.excalibur.containerkit.lifecycle.LifecycleException:
Component named "ftp-server" failed to pass through the Configuration
stage. (Reason:
org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.ConfigurationException: Stub
class not found: org.apache.ftpserver.remote.RemoteHandler_Stub;

It looks like RMI stub classes are not being generated and/or
compiled, so is there some build or installation step that I am
neglecting?

In fact, is there any reasonable documentation available for building
and running the Apache FTP server?

Cheers,
Geoff

[1] The ftpserver-with-phoenix-0.9.src.tar.gz distribution is missing
some files that are present in the CVS. For example, the build.xml
requires forrest-targets.ent, which is not included.

[2] I had to modify build.xml to defined the "Name" and "name"
properties, both of which I set to "ftp-server".

RE: Apache FTP Server: how to build and run?

Posted by Rana Bhattacharyya <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,
  I should have written a doc about the build
procedure. It is totally my fault. I shall try to
write the doc and streamline the whole build
procedure. We shall definetely appreciate any help.

Anyway, these are the steps.

1. Apache forrest has to be installed. We have not
included in the distribution to reduce the
distribution size.
2. Looks like there are few files missing in the
source distribution. These are default.properties,
forrest.properties and forrest-targets.ent. Please
find the attached files.
3. Modify default.properties forrest.home parameter
4. You need to install Ant too.
5. Then run ant with the appropriate build targets.

Thanks,
Rana

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html

RE: Apache FTP Server: how to build and run?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Elgey <ge...@wedgetail.com>.
G'day,

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>I've just downloaded Apache FTP server and I'm having troubling
>>running the server.
>
> http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=general@incubator.apache
> .org&msgId=1324096

Thanks for the link, but the information there is as follows:

> I am sorry for replying late. Running is simple. The
> phoenix is bundled in the distribution binary file.
> The ftpserver.sar file in the phoenix apps directory.
> So you need to execute phoenix run batch file.

In my original request, I outlined how I had performed the steps
listed above, yet still had exceptions (namely, an RMI stub class not
generated and/or found on the class path).

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.