Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/05 17:16:46 UTC

Re: Documentation mega index

David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2008, at 3:45 PM, David Jencks wrote:
>
>> This is great!!
>>
>> Some of the links seem to be in red and claim that if you click them
>> they will create a new page.  Anyone know what that means?
>
> I put "-" links in just to make it easier if someone wants to create the
> page.  Though links to some of the foreign language pages didn't work so
> they show up as red even though there is a related page.
>
>> Also, how do the translations (spanish and polish?) work?  I haven't
>> seen how to get to them before.
>
> No idea.  Looks like in 2.0 we created separate spaces for those.  I was
> thinking it might be a good idea to go back and create spaces for them
> and move the related pages over as then we could create an equivalent
> "mega index" for those languages as well.

Translations are never easy. AFAICT, it's been based on single individuals effort. In many cases it was started by users with enough interest in Geronimo to start working on translating the docs but still not very active on the mailing lists. With that said, some times their effort went unnoticed or not noticed in time, hence the differences between releases in terms of how the translations got handled.

For G 1.x, translation effort went directly into the same confluence space we had the "source". For 2.x we have a separate space, this is probably the most practical approach given the current situation.

So, for Geronimo 2.1, we put all our effort on the GMOxDOC21 space and then create separate spaces as needed for the different languages. I suspect we'll see more interest in translating the docs some time sooner than later as we continue to fill up the 2.1 doc.

Cheers!
Hernan